how do you release & renew IP addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord Coven .. you are DA MAN?! it worked .. THANKS!!! actually .. what's interesting is if you leave off the "DHCP" at the end of the command, you'll get prompted back with the other flags you can utilize (see below):

[kyon@Keyizm kyon]$ sudo ipconfig set en1
usage: set <interface name> < BOOTP | MANUAL | DHCP | INFORM | NONE > <method args>

thanks again for you help :)

does anyone know how to release & renew IP addresses from the terminal app? kinda like the unix (OS X) equivalent of windows "ipconfig /release" & "ipconfig /renew". i thought ifconfig was the command line utility to do it however, i just can't seem to find the right parameters to make it work? i'm tired of having to go to the Network System Preferences window to do the task. i usually have terminal open and i'd REALLY like to be able to do it from there. any ideas?

To do this, type in ifconfig in Terminal. You will get a bunch of interfaces available on the Mac device, and each interface will be marked as active or inactive. Determine which interface you want to do a release/renew on. Refer to screenshots

For this example, I will be working on my wifi interface, en1

ifconfig.png

While in Terminal, type the following command in to disable the interface. Keep in mind, you will have to have superuser permissions to do this. so make sure you type sudo before the command

down.png

When it asks for a password, type in your password, or the administrator password for your computer.

Once this completes, your terminal session no longer requires you to type sudo for further commands.

To enable it

up.png

Quit Terminal

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back