How do you turn it on?

i think, from the photos i have seen, that the power button is located on the lower right side (when you are looking at it from the fornt) of the rear of the base... right near where all the ports are.

it's in the back...

specscallouts01072002.jpg

So how do you know when it is sleeping?
Don't tell me you have to turn that thing around, I mean a sleeping Mac doesn't make any noise, just the pulsing light...and if that's on the back...

...oh, does anyone know why the new Pro Speakers are no longer USB but a special stereo jack???

The power button is in the back, but if you're working at the iMac and looking at it from the front, you reach around the left to turn the power button on. It's not ALL the way in the back, so it's a comfortable reach. Not that big of a problem.

If you look closely at iMac pictures, you'll see on the front of the screen there are two little holes in the display on the bottom left and bottom right. The one on the left is just some weird little rubber thingy in the hole. The one on the right is a very tiny LCD. When the iMac is asleep, this pulses, just like other power buttons. When the iMac is on and not asleep, it is lit. When the iMac is off, this is not lit. So, no, you do not need to turn the iMac around to see if it is sleeping or not.

About the Pro Speakers jack -- yes, it is now a special jack. It seems to basically be the same connection as headphones, although the connector probably goes farther in. One thing that's nice is since there is now a separate headphone jack on the back of the iMac (which isn't the best design for headphones that don't have long cords), the new Pro Speakers with the iMac do not have the need for the third thing that is traditionally attached to the Pro Speakers -- the thing where you put your headphones into -- the digital amplifier or whatever. On my cube's speakers and I believe the old Pro Speakers, this was always there. The iMacs Pro Speakers actually only consist of the two speakers.

Back