How do you UNINSTALL OSX?

gastroboy

Registered
I am having a major problem with OSX and need to drop down a version but it won't let me install over a later version.

How do you do a clean uninstall of OSX to start over again?

And what folders should you retain to keep essential settings and files?

Any help would be much appreciated.

s:)

Originally posted by gastroboy
I am having a major problem with OSX and need to drop down a version but it won't let me install over a later version.

How do you do a clean uninstall of OSX to start over again?

And what folders should you retain to keep essential settings and files?

Any help would be much appreciated.

s:)

-Insert Jaguar CD 1 (OS X 10.2)
-Restart your Mac
-After hearing the startup sound, press and hold "C" from keyboard
-Wait up to a minute
-Follow the onscreen buttons
-Around the install procedure a button will read Custom or Options... Depending on which you will first read, click it
-There you will read something about "Archive and Install" option
-Click it
-Next, Next, Next
-Wait
-Restart
-Insert CD 2
-Installation Complete

After all the above you will have a fresh new install (almost) and in a folder with the name of "Previous System" you will have your previous apps and stuff...

Enjoy! :D

If the above will fail (sometimes the previous damaged system is beyond archiving) you MUST do a Format (Erase) and Install of OS X... :rolleyes:

;) :)

You should then keep stuff in any Preferences folder, your Users folder, and anything you have installed.

I think I am at the format and erase stage but unfortunately I have a massive amount of files on the same disk. I dread the thought of backing them up.

Is there no way to just disable the system like in OS9?

Think I may be forced to buy (yet another) external FW drive.

Given there are no effective trouble shooting tools and you can't just mount everything off a CD whilst you tackle the HDs this is all too predictable.

Frankly it makes Windows look good.

trying to install osx but stop were i ask to select destination and the only thing i see is the mac cd but i moved the mouse over it and said mac os x install cd is disable because it is read only can someone help??

fili - That means your hard drive is not mounting.

You will need to get it back using something like Disk Warrior. Disk First Aid (see your menus on your install CD) would be your first try but it rarely does anything. DW is a godsend.

You may have experienced a problem I encountered on my G4 the day I bought it and also a on a client's G4. The bootup would proceed normally but never get past the splash screen. The problem is the "Volume Wrapper " was damaged. DW fixes this easily. The Volume Wrapper is used on HFS+ disks so that if mounted in an older system that message about "can't see your HD?..." is shown. When it is damaged the bootup never gets to the harddrive.

Having said all that there are other reasons Hard Drives don't mount and you need a repair utility like Disk Warrior or TechTools to fix them. DO NOT use Nortons, it has ruined 2 of my drives and others on the forums have repeated the experience.

For some reason I don't understand some older FW drives are not available for installation either.

Back