How Good is Safari

lancer1993

Registered
I downloaded the original beta and I think it killed my system, it was either Safari or Nortons.

I ended up with no modem, Nortons would not work, Classic would not load. I had to spend 2 days to do a fresh install. I now have a backup copy of OS X done with Carbon Copy Cloner.

I have read about other who had problems. With the latest Beta have the big bugs been fixed?

Originally posted by lancer1993
I downloaded the original beta and I think it killed my system, it was either Safari or Nortons.

I ended up with no modem, Nortons would not work, Classic would not load. I had to spend 2 days to do a fresh install. I now have a backup copy of OS X done with Carbon Copy Cloner.

I have read about other who had problems. With the latest Beta have the big bugs been fixed?

Probably it was Norton that shot the Sheriff ahem I mean your Mac ;)

Seriously some people had issues with the first public beta of Safari but with the next versions so far I never heard, read or let alone see a problem occur with Safari...

However, with Mr.Norton it is a whole different story :rolleyes:

Safari IS good as of now and it can only become A LOT better if not the best browser for Mac :D

Forgive me for saying so, but something has to cause a crash....You don't just download a beta...and poof everything disappears....There has to be more to the story. Did your system crash while you were using Safari? Perhaps you could submit a bug to Apple if Safari was really what caused it. And, another thing, if you don't know if Norton or Safari caused it, why automatically assume it is Apple's fault? They always warn you when you download beta software that it could cause problems, but I have never had any...and believe me I have tested plenty of AOL betas in my time...If anything could crash OS X, AOL could hehe...

Just wondering why you downloaded the original beta? From what i've heard, people had some major issues with the very first release. Then they came out with a fix, and then they came out with v60. I, personally have never had any issues with any. However I am afraid of Norton and any software like that. Not sure why but I don't touch it.

I hope your got things fixed though.

The second release came out, if I remember right, like 2 or 3 days after the first.

But with the current publicly released I've had one kernel panic. I imagine Norton makes more probably damage than Safari though.

Yup, just forget about Norton. It's better for your health and that of your computer. :p

Safari has been very stable for me in version 1.0v60 (the second public beta). However, MacCentral seems to have found a way how to disable popup-blocking in Safari. Sometimes, not always, the feature is suddenly turned off when visiting MacCentral, and up pops its ad-window. After that, I have to turn off popups again. Too bad... I hope Apple will adapt here, or I will have to get MacCentral's news through /. exclusively...

norton=dung... It killed my system... also... my power mac... my baby... grrr.... Down with Norton... (at least till they get a native OS Xproducts that work...) hehe

Done with rant.

Originally posted by skidaniel
Why is Norton so bad on the Mac? What problems does it cause?

Don't have Norton on my Mac(s), but I know that it's also troublesome on the PC as well. McAffee on the PC is no better. I think the problem is related to how they try to "hook" into the os to provide their virus protection. For some reason they are VERY sensitive to their environment, and if things change, then can hose completely.

Of course in the finally analysis, I think that Norton is just extremely poorly written. These companies take advantage of the fact that people who are paranoid will run their stuff regardless of how bad it is since those two companies dominate the market.

In my last place, whenever the IT guy would come around and install it on my box, I would be uninstalling it before he was even out of my cube. Never had a problem with virus's, except the one they call "NORTON".

i have been told that Mac's have very little problems with virus', particularly because there are few people out there who want to write a bug that would attack a Mac. Is this in any way true?

There have to be some viruses out there, so what software do you guys recommend to get?

I dispise Norton. I have used versions of Norton for ten years and have never had good experiences on my main machines. I could always debug major problems back to Norton.

Norton is evil.

(I do, however, let Norton AV run nightly on our iMac server and it works fine).

i have been told that Macs have very little problems with viruses, particularly because there are few people out there who want to write a bug that would attack a Mac. Is this in any way true? There have to be some viruses out there, so what software do you guys recommend to get?
We weren't talking about virus protection, but rather harddisk security & repair: Norton Disk Doctor and the like.

Virus protection? It's good to have something, I believe. Mostly for Microsoft Word Macro viruses that don't really harm the Mac but maybe the next PC you send a file to.

Norton Antivirus is quite okay, I think. It's Norton Systemworks or System Utilities I don't like...

i have been told that Mac's have very little problems with virus', particularly because there are few people out there who want to write a bug that would attack a Mac. Is this in any way true?

Yes is true. It's not the only reason, but it is a major reason. When you think of the mentality of a virus creator, it makes sense that they would want to go for the most "bang for the buck". Another major reason is that there are several very easy to use "virus toolkits" available for the Windoze platform that allows any script kiddie to generate their own virus's. On the Mac, you still have to be somewhat knowledgeable about what you're doing.

There have to be some viruses out there, so what software do you guys recommend to get?

Don't execute anything that you don't know absolutely that it is safe to (i.e. that you requested explicitly, even then ....). I warn my friends to NEVER send me anything that is executable (including scripts) because I will delete them immediately regardless of who sent it. I also tell them to immediately delete any executable sent by me, because I would never do it.

Norton is a crummy product, both the antivirus and utilities portions of it. In my years of using a Mac running it has never caused a positive result.

When I had a virus, like 6 years ago, Norton anitvirus didn't catch it (Virex fixed my system after it was infected). What NAV did do was bog down my system performance by 50%, cause extension conflicts and stop me from working while it checked under the bed to make sure there were no monsters (ones it knew how to identify anyway).

The predatory nature of antivirus programs in general really bugs me - they sell it to people by promoting fear (kind of like insurance salesmen, except they have no accountability if their software turns out to be useless when needed - insurance companies pony up). You are much better off taking preventative measures to avoid viruses (if your aunt sends you all kind of stupid email attachments loaded with virii, set your email program to not download attachments, don't install non-commercial software, etc).

As for Norton utilities, they are useless - they do nothing for a corrupted system. Buy a real disk utility (like Diskwarrior) that works when you need it. If you try to recover a disk that won't mount with Norton, you get garbage. Use DiskWarrior and you'll be back up and running in 5 minutes. The only utility I will run from a Norton CD is SpeedDisk - but only for an OS 9 system. Otherwise you're better off with Alsoft's PlusOptimizer.

And while we're talking about Norton, what the hell good is DiskLight? I mean a little icon on the top of your menu bar that blinks when the hard drive is accessed - what possible use could this have?

Footnote: if you want to avoid viruses, stay away from Outlook Express (possibly even Entourage). Email viruses are the easiest to contract and guess which software they target/exploit? And if using an antivirus program lets you sleep better (I still look for monsters under the bed occasionally), don't let it run all the time. Use it to check foreign files/disks manually. Your system will thank you for it.

Norton is also famous for not working when Apple releases a major upgrade. Case in point, OS 10.2 Jaguar....caused Norton Antivirus 8 to be rendered useless....You had to download a patch. I also own Norton Personal Firewall....They released a carbon version of it, sure. It works in 10.03 or 10.04, but that's it....We are on 10.2.4 now...so, you can see how well they keep their Mac products updated....I know they released a version that works exclusively in OS X, but I refuse to keep shelling out money to a company for updates that shouldn't be needed anyway.

I was so glad when Apple chose Virex over Norton Antivirus in .Mac. I have never had a problem with McAfee...even when I was trapped on the dark side.

I see lots of Windows people rave about NAV, but, frankly folks, I would rather go without virus protection, than have to deal with them exclusively.

Only Norton...That should be their slogan. Who makes an antivirus program that freezes your system while scanning? Only Norton.

I'm not bitter, though. Not at all.

BTW: blaming Safari for your mishap is like blaming your new pinetree air freshener for getting you into an accident:

'Well, I just bought this new air freshener and I hung it from the rearview mirror and then WHAM I hit a telephone pole. I'm never going to use these damn things again. Let my car stink. They're dangerous.'

[edited cuz I can't splle]

Back