How hot and how loud is the new PB?

gphillipk

Registered
I've read similar threads on other forums and there's always disagreement that the PB:
1. Can get too warm to put on your lap
2. Fans are rather loud at times

Some people who've had several revisions of the PB's swear that they're quieter and the heat is tolerable while others say the new ones run louder and hotter. I'm still waiting for my 15" so the only thing I can compare with is my previous hp nx9010. The fans on that machine started almost immediately after I switched it on and it could be rather uncomfortable to use in hot weather. You could hear the fans from another room whether it was in a relatively quiet or rather noisy environment. So, for those of you who're PB users/owners, can you give me an idea of what I should expect?

I don't have a dB rating (check apple's website), but the only time my powerbook gets hot is when I stress the CPU for extended periods of time (i.e. gaming, modeling). The fans are only noticable when they go full speed and usually shut off soon after the intense CPU activity is over. For day to day use (typing, surfing, e-mailing, chatting, etc) the fans almost never come on and the machine stays quiet. BTW I have a Powerbook from before the revision, so the new ones may be a little bit hotter, but I would presume only when used heavily and I would think the fans would be just as quiet, if not quieter.

We use 15" PowerBooks in a production van (no windows, no open doors..) that has minimal AC during hot summer months for 12-14 hours straight processing large photos of youth events and the fans almost never come on full.. just that first fan level occasionally even though the internal temp reaches 140+ degrees..... we elevate the back slightly on a pencil to get air flowing around the case.... the bottoms are "warm" to the touch, though.

The G4 TI book was a nightmare under the same conditions. Fan would screech on after 1/2 an hour and not quit... "hot to the touch" would leave blisters :) The new crop of 15" PBs, nice.. no need to worry....

G.

I've got a Rev C Powerbook 12" (1.33 GHz version). It's much much cooler than the original 12" Powerbook. It's cool enough to work on your lap. No idea about the new ones, but I expect they would be pretty much the same.

Back