How I loathe my internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Maelstrom

Registered
I have a semi-serious problem relating to the internet in OS X.
I click on it to open as usual, but the window pops up and instantly closes before I can do anything. It then bothers me with the following error message:

"The program Internet Explorer has unexpectedly quit, no other programs were harmed." (Or soemthign pretty darn close to that)

This has happened before, in the middle of my net-surfing, so I click on it, expecting to be looking at my homepage, but the same thing happened again. And again. And again. No internet.

Eventually I found out how to use the classic OS 9.2 Explorer. What puzzles me is why the 9.2 will work,a nd the Os X won't. I can now acess the internet through the classic environment, but I'd be so mych easier to sue the OS X one. This problem has lasted for at least a month, and I would have come here sooner, but I lost all of my bookmarked pages (Including this one).

I have a cable internet connection, so I thought this might have something to do with the fact that Comcast bought ATT, which seemed a bit impossible, seeing as how my OS 9 internet worked. And until I get my OS X, I can't switch to the Comcast Software. Now I know that option isn't the case.

Recently, my brother started his login acount on my computer. The funny thing is, his OS X internet works perfectly. I have yet to see any problems with my brothers file.

Is a certain program causing my internet failure?
Remember now, it's the Internet Explorer application that won't open. My brother's account is fairly new, and doens't have a lot of programs. I don't think that's the case, since it all sued to work fine with them before. (Could it be StarCraft? It's the only new prgram I installed near to the time of the problem. (It was a classic application)

PLEASE help me!
I'm begging you.

This is probably caused by a corrupted file somewhere in your user directory. Because it work's in both OS 9 and another user's account I bet thats it. Try navigating to ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.explorer.plist, and drag that file out to the desktop. Try internet explorer again, and because IE can't find it's pref file if that file was indeed corrupted and causing problems IE will just make a new one and your problem will be fixed.

I second that one, but as someone who was stuck with 10.1 for a few months after safari was launched I feel for the poor IE user...
I love safari!

Well I tried dragging the file from Library/Prefrences onto my Desktop,a nd temporarily putting it in the trash. Neither worked. Was I missing something? Do you think this could be a Limewire file that I downloaded?

I guess I should just use Safari, but I have a questions.
-Would it open in OS X correctly if I download it from my O9 Internet?
-Would I be able to acess it from my acocunt if I download it form my brothers account?

*Is saved*

Try deleting com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist
Apparently this file gets corrupted quite often.
Yes to both other questions.

In most cases deleting the prefs files won't matter, except that any preferences you've set will be cleared, and you'll need to re-add them (i.e. going back in to the "Preferences" section and reconfiguring anything you've set that's non-default)

I'm sure you want to get IE back, but in the long term I'd also have to STRONGLY suggest ditching IE 5.2 and getting a 21st-century browser like Chimera, Safari, or Opera. I've had much luck with Chimera's compatibility with sites, I've only encountered one major and a very small handful of site incompatibilities with Safari, and the advantages (most majorly - POPUP BLOCKING) much outweigh the disadvantages. And, you can always go back to IE if you need to, for some reason.

If you're worried about deleting a file, back it up somehow, either by removable media or by archiving it, and then delete it.
Do you think this could be a Limewire file that I downloaded?
Most definitely not. What prompted you to ask this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back