How many applications created by Apple do you use?

Which application(s) do you use on your Mac?

• Mac OS X or newer

Votes: 116 97.5%
  • Mac OS 9 or older

Votes: 47 39.5%
  • iTunes

Votes: 116 97.5%
  • iPhoto

Votes: 76 63.9%
  • iMovie

Votes: 57 47.9%
  • AppleWorks

Votes: 34 28.6%
  • iDVD

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • FinalCut Pro

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • DVD Studio Pro

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • QuickTime

Votes: 114 95.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
Since Apple has started to develop many of applictions, how many of them do you use?

OS and quicktime are it. Most apps fall under the category of "I'd use it if I had a camera/video camera/dvd burner" but some things recently got booted out like iTunes in favor of mpg123.

Oh, I use mail.app which technically is developed and ported from next step but that's just details.

i got my iBook this week, (Cheaply)
(IceBook 500 / 64 / 10 / CDROM)

And, although 64mb is the BARE Bone, firstly i am suprised as to how functional X is, with this! I was impressed to say the Least! I've booted into 9.1, and although Menu's and things maybe quicker, it as a whole works WORSE than X Does, with 64mb!

Anyhow, Back on topic! @ Present, while using a Mac is "new to me" i use:

iTunes 3
Address Book (that Counts, right?)
Mail

Hmmm, what else?! i have to admit, being one of the latest "SWITCHERS", My Dock is over 50% filled with M$ applications!

v.X, IE5, Messenger! < blush >

that reminds me, I should download iPhoto, i've not seen that yet! What else Should i look out For?! i know a few things, but like, iPhoto was one that slipped my Mind!

(Sorry For Going a little off topic!!!)

Neyo

how did you get OS X to install with 64Mb RAM? I have a friend with the same model as you who has money for either RAM or OS X.

And might I suggest changing your sig to Wahoo ?

Of course I'd suggest the first thing you do is check out browsers. Personally I think IE is the worst alternative. Check out Chimera Navigator, Mozilla, iCab, Opera and OmniWeb :D

Originally posted by voice-
how did you get OS X to install with 64Mb RAM? I have a friend with the same model as you who has money for either RAM or OS X.

And might I suggest changing your sig to Wahoo ?

hmmm, Well, to be honest, i didn't install it! The Company i bought it from, Won the iBook, in a Contest, but SOLELY use PC's! So the Mac was No good to them, i am not sure whether my bud. of whether X was pre-installed on it, but i know it was plainly X. I had a nightmare, the 1st time i had it, because X.1 CD's were JUST Going "obselete" and at the time, i was on Dialup Too! But Thankfully a kind Member, from this Board, Sent me the Update CD, he had Spare! i still Owe him for that, and REALLY appreciate what he'd done for me! :D

Anyhow, So i updated to 10.0.4, and then got the 10.1 CD, and updated, once more, and then to 10.1.5, but i never did the intial install! as i said though, i find X, more "complete" even with 64MB RAM, than i do, OS 9!

For example, when i load Flash, on 9, if i close the window, or Switch apps, the Desktop background Often Doesn't redraw, and it basically Looks like a Mess of Colours, somewhat remeniscent of a rainbow! lol, that kind of puts me of using 9!
X however, may not Do such nasty things, but Runs Slow! but under the circumstances, who am i to complain?!

Thanks for the suggestion of Apps to hunt for, it so happens, over my time lingering here, as a black sheep, those Names have become inbedded into my brain, merely i think out of curiousity! And So i had downloaded those already! Although, with 64Mb of RAM, its Still "just a toy" as Such, unless i want to make "tea stops" between Loading applications! (lol, its not that bad, but not as good as it will be with 320Mb i am sure! :D)

One thing that did bug me, was Internet Sharing! Now i have two XP machines, shared on Twisted Pair Cable, with one machine having an internal aDSL Modem. I've shared the Connection fine, and it works quite well! I configured X, almost identically (all except an notched up IP address), but the Speed seemed Slow! At one time, i never managed 10Kb or greater bandwidth. and i dont know whether there's an issue, due to Low RAM being a Cause?! (sounds unlikely) or Maybe i've Just gotta tinker with some settings somewhat?! The PC to iBook Network connects and runs @ 100Mbs/sec, so thats fine! :D

(Sorry for "ranting" a little, but i had a "few things" to say! ;))

Originally posted by ricky
Neyo, how are you liking your new Mac? :)

LOL, well, if you've read this far Ric, i'm sure you can tell! i am excited, pretty much, its Cool! and i am looking for to JagWire Mos Definately! (especially with my Bluetooth Mobile phone!)

...but i am DESPERATE for an iPod!!! that was one fundamental reason to switch to Mac's (and yes i know its PC compatible, but have you ever used MusicMatch?! :rolleyes: ) "say no more".

i did have a Question on iTunes, but i'll leave it for another Post! ... i've NEVER written this much in one reply before!!

NeYo

PS: ... Would you say i got a Good - ish Deal for the iBook (500, 64, 10, CD-ROM @ £500?!)

Edit: PPS ...Voice: You may have noticed my Sig Changed "Slightly" :D

Neyo...about your slow internet connection on the iBook you may have to go into Terminal and do a little tweaking. I did this trick, I can't remember now but it's one of my MacAddict magasine's, and my connection almost doubled in speed. The speed improvements is mostly for people with broadband or better.

If you want I can look it up, or you can ask someone here.

Originally posted by Paragon
Neyo...about your slow internet connection on the iBook you may have to go into Terminal and do a little tweaking. I did this trick, I can't remember now but it's one of my MacAddict magasine's, and my connection almost doubled in speed. The speed improvements is mostly for people with broadband or better.

Wow, did it really double in speed? That's a great improvement. Could you point me to a link or something that has that article? (I subscribed last year to MA but I don't remember that). Does it only work on broadband?

I wonder why Apple wouldn't allow you to change it with the computer setup?

and to Neyo:
Yes! Buy an iPod! You won't regret it, especially with the new firmware coming out in a few weeks! :) And they are finally at a good price too! I love mine, and barely go anywhere without it.

Originally posted by Paragon

if you, or ANYONE can hook me up, i'd be MUCH appreciated! but remember, i've NEVER even loaded Terminal!! :( :confused: lol!

Thanks bud!

NeYo

Originally posted by Snowball

and to Neyo:
Yes! Buy an iPod! You won't regret it, especially with the new firmware coming out in a few weeks! :) And they are finally at a good price too! I love mine, and barely go anywhere without it.

hey, do u mind me asking a few Questions about the iPod, i've NEVER seen one, only pics and such, and i don't know an awful lot about it, but i know of the 5Gb + Hd's, and thats enough to convince me to upgrade from using Sony MiniDiscs < sigh >

NeYo

Hey neyo, I've got a good 1st Terminal command for you to commemorate your new iBook purchase:

type (without quotes): "banner SWITCHED!" (no it won't delete your whole harddrive or anything :)) You can type anything you want after banner.

Congrats on your iBook! :)

Originally posted by Snowball
Hey neyo, I've got a good 1st Terminal command for you to commemorate your new iBook purchase:

type (without quotes): "banner SWITCHED!" (no it won't delete your whole harddrive or anything :)) You can type anything you want after banner.

Congrats on your iBook! :)

haha! thats COOL! That Makes me think, maybe we shud have a thread with More cool things in terminal, to try?! .. Or is Terminal Quite Dull?! lol

NeYo

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~

if you, or ANYONE can hook me up, i'd be MUCH appreciated! but remember, i've NEVER even loaded Terminal!! :( :confused: lol!

Thanks bud!

NeYo

Okay here goes, everytime I use a () means you dont type it, it's just for your info:

(start up your terminal and type, remember that you have to write your pw after the sudo, it'll ask you)

sudo pico /etc/rc

(then goto the end of that file, the last line should read exit 0. position the cursor right above that line with one space free and type)

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65536
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65536
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

(press control exit, press y, and your done).

just one more thing. Here's what you'll see what it should look like.

SystemStarter $(VerboseFlag)

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65536
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65536
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

exit 0

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

yup, it's currently possible to add transparency to the Terminal, but you have to do it with TinkerTool (freeware! great program!)

It's one of those features that Apple built in but is not adjustable through Apple's preferences. That's why 3rd parties come to the rescue!!!!

Jaguar will fix it.

BTW about the banner command...that was written back when UNIX boxes were all CLI-based like DOS and the sysop wanted to make a point in the MOTD or tell someone something important.

It's great that it's still included in OS X even though it is an afterthought for the CLI users. (have they taken ANYTHING out from UNIX? it still supports those ancient serial-connector things (can't remember exact name) from the 70's natively in OS X, ian reynolds from macaddict set it up)

OS X.1, 9.2 and 7.5
Text edit, simple text, preview, sherlock, mail, appleworks, iTunes and probably some really obvious ones i missed.

Transparency in Terminal.app:
(TinkerTool is NOT required)

1. Open a terminal window.

2. Type the following exactly:

defaults write com.apple.Terminal TerminalOpaqueness x

(where x = a value between 0 and 1, ie .75)

3. Set your colors to whatever you want in the preferences.

4. Close and open a new terminal session.

This is a user preference and will therefore differ based on the profile of each user.

My transparency is set at 0.5 with the default colors, black text on white background.

defaults write com.apple.Terminal TerminalOpaqueness 0.5

Back