How many graphic designers?

me, well just started Designing anyways. :)

Getting my Associates this spring, and then going for my B.F.A. :) Too bad my folks aren't paying for the BFA... :mad:

I do more more design and layout than graphic design but dabble in graphic design in my job as well.

I am a freelance designer here in San Diego. Most recent work was www.geniusproducts.com (though that site is ongoing and YES, it is very busy, design-wise, indeed.)

Designing for 10 years. Took 8 month "Desktop Publishing Course" at Collins College, Tempe, AZ. Bachelor of Arts in Spanish before that at Whitman College. :)

Im a designer - but i am gonna start study for a ba in design in 2007, can't wait to get into the industry !

I was doing the self-teaching method of graphic design...even had plenty of practice doing different things for my wifes coffee shop and her fathers antique store...

But then I realized that I was better, and enjoyed a heck of a lot more, photography. That's where my creativity goes these days...but I still dabble with things when someone needs something.

I've never used Quark, but I enjoy InDesign.

Natobasso said:
I gotta say, after using InDesign for the past 8 months, I'm hooked! I'll never use Quark again. :)
Each to his own. I also prefer Freehand to Illustrator.

smithy said:
Im a designer - but i am gonna start study for a ba in design in 2007, can't wait to get into the industry !
Don't get me started m8. (Climbs aboard soapbox) I grew up during the war in Rhodesia, where the econmony was geared almost entirely to fighting the war, so there were no courses in graphic design available. I managed to get a job at an advertising agency where I learned on the job. I've now been at it for 25 years.

During my time in the biz, I have trained a large number of graduates of graphic design courses. They may have a degree, but the courses that they took didn't include any training ion how to use the tools of the trade! It pisses me off when I miss out on a job opportunity to some snot-nosed kid straight out of college, who has a degree but can barely switch on a Mac – let alone produce a job using the industry-standard software!

Sorry if this sounds like a rant at you, Smithy – it's not – it's directed at the failings of the system.

Best of luck to ya, m8! :D

Yep, another Graphic Designer here too. 14 years now. For what it's worth I'm now a convert to InDesign. Never thought it would happen but i must say I love it. I still use Quark from time to time but if I'm starting a new job it's InDesign all the way.

CaptainQuark said:
During my time in the biz, I have trained a large number of graduates of graphic design courses. They may have a degree, but the courses that they took didn't include any training ion how to use the tools of the trade! It pisses me off when I miss out on a job opportunity to some snot-nosed kid straight out of college, who has a degree but can barely switch on a Mac – let alone produce a job using the industry-standard software!

Yeah, I have to agree with that. I've been turned down from several jobs without even seeing my portfolio just because I don't have a BA Degree. I guess being a Senior Design and Creative Director for years isn't enough. Oh, and a very good portfolio. I've also had guys working under me with degrees that don't even know the most basic commands in the industry standard design packages.

Right, got that off my chest now :)

No worries CaptainQuark - i only do design at the moment as a hobby and to build up a substansial portfolio in case that i don't get into my ba, so that i can go to a private commercial college. However im trying to get some work experience and so i can get some better training from proper graphic designers, not a lecturer thinking that they know about the industry.

At the moment i don't use Photoshop at all, I first used paintshop pro (lol yes i did in those dark old days on the Pc) and then i switched to Fireworks and im still at fireworks. But once i get Cs Suite im defenaitly switching to Photoshop and Illustrator. Before everyone bags out Fireworks, i know it lacks of alot of stuff but the vector graphics is very good, with intergration with flash and freehand.

Now about the degree stuff - I would have to agree i think to be a graphic designer you need basically hand drawing experience/skills and then well obviously computer design skills. Hand drawings will never be fased out, because basically unless you have one of those little pads + pens that hook up to the computer, some things you do by hand is alot easier than drawing with a mouse. The current pre-requisite (spelling??) to courses in Design at a University is only English. Sometimes i find it hard to see why some acquired art and composition knowledge isnt there, i guess they just see graphic designers as you only need to spell to be one. I find this wrong in a sense. But the next generation of designers around my age are also very talented and everyone these days (including myself) is very talented and have a good artistic/design background. As it is i can do stuff on the computer/by hand/ by paint brush and i have some work of mine featured in the general public painted. I think why more and more people are getting involved in the design industry, is because we are currently in a very much so style/design based era. Think about it look how much stuff from the 50's (modernism) and then 60's/70's (More vintage style) 80's (punkish style) is coming back in. Well it think my talking about nothing time is up but yer thats what i think - honestly i can't wait to be a graphic designer as it is i would love to get a job at the moment just for the work experience as a junior designer but i think you even have to a degree to do that ! :(

I sit on top of Mount Photoshopolympus and look down at the peons below me. :)

But seriously, I wanted to do graphic design at one point, but the only tool I've ever had available to me (and thus been able to learn) is Photoshop. And then one day, I found I was bored of it. I imagine if I had more experience using other tools like Illustrator, Indesign, etc. I would be poised to enter the world of graphic design, but as it is I'm focussed on becoming a programmer.

I'm a designer too!

I don't know how long I've used Photoshop, but it's been a shorter amount of time than some of you. Maybe five years?

i'm 19 and currently studying for the BA. What you guys are saying is ringing true though - i have no idea which is better (InDesign/Quark) because i have never used them - not through choice - it is just not the slant the course takes.

they're trying to teach us what looks good/bad and how to get strong design out there. the technical side is severely lacking - i have no idea about the complexities of page layout - and both programs confuse the hell out of me. we get 1hr a weeks tutelage on macs - where one guys tells the room (50+ people) the basics of photoshop.

i know potatochop like the back of my hand, because i've spent the last 5 years playing with it - now that i have to use it to work, it's become a tool. i don't know any other packages yet - i'm desperately trying to learn illustrator, because i found myself lacking, but these are not the most intuitive apps we're talking about here - they are the best for when you are the best, but for the first time user - confusing.

CaptainQuark you are right - the system simply doesn't put enough of a slant on the technical side of it. i am having to learn these programs in my spare time, as that is the only way i'll ever learn - it's going to take me at least a decade to get anywhere with them though - so i'm starting now. proof that these programs are confusing? try using director to make an interactive cd-rom for the first time. you wouldn't even guess where to begin.

btw how many of you (be honest!) are using pirate graphics suites? ;)

A real designer is going to pay for what they use and not deal with pirated or sub-standard stuff. A real designer isn't going to limit himself to learning just one type of program such as InDesign or Quark.

i work for a small two person firm that design logos and such.
Our speciality is hand drawn text originals painted with a pensel-pen that we then digitilize, vectorize and incorporate with printed text. We also do a lot of originals that require beautiful handwriting such as wedding invitations, diplomas and art-posters.

i lost touch with photoshop around version 3.0 (last version i used in design school), and have since mostly worked in freehand. i know illustrator, but have never worked with it (just used it on a friends computer).
i also, just for fun, use stratavision 3d to do pictures that are a mix between computer-made and hand-made . like this picture that i made for a company calender :)

Attachments

• cal.jpg
    cal.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 19
I was doing graphic design for a local newspaper about 5 years ago, for over a year I designed ads and layout for the paper. This was mostly real estate and car ads, though there was plenty of other editorial and ads to do.

I've been out of that for a while now, and am working in IT instead, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would recommend that anyone interested in graphic design as a career should go for it, it is very satisfying work for a creative person.

Back