How many Macs do you have?

• 7-10

• 11-15

• 16-20

• 0, over 20 or other, specify

Results are only viewable after voting.
Work - 2.0Ghz Dual G5, 20" display
Dell 866Mhz Desktop

Home - 1.25Ghz G4 SP MDD (Current model)
533Mhz G4 Digital Audio
1800+ Athlon

Laptop (home and work) - Dell C640 (about to be upgraded to a D600)

RacerX said:
I rarely (if ever) buy new systems. Computers (like cars) lose there value once you start using them. You could have saved money buying a slightly used PowerBook instead of a brand new one and spent that money on apps... or food!

I've never found particularly good deals on used Mac stuff. If you look on eBay, I consistently see 6 month old stuff going for MAYBE 5-10% lower than the price of the brand new models (with new warranties, etc). This is great for Mac owners - our systems are REALLY holding value (what 4 year old PC can still get 500-800 dollars US?), but bad for new owners looking for a deal.

That said, I've also found some good deals, they're just VERY difficult to find.

Dual 1.8 G5, Powerbook Ti 867mhz, iMac 1.25 17" My Great macs!

Powerbook 5300, Quadra 840av, Preforma 450, Mac Plus+ baby!

Want any photos give me a shout. ;)

Things have changed since April---

The dv imac was adopted by a graduate from parental custody ;)
The tangerine iBook morphed into a 14 inch icebook and subsequently shrank to a 12 inch model.
Santa brought the undergraduates an eMac which liberated the icebook from being overworked and underpaid... ;)

Because I work in the computer service industry, I have an "above average" number of computers (both PC and Mac) lying around my basement. I typically try to keep at least 2 or 3 functional, used machines handy for cases where someone requests a "loaner" while theirs is being fixed, or cases where they want to buy a complete system cheap.

Myself though, I own 2 newer Macs that I use regularly; a new Aluminum Powerbook 15" I got for Xmas, and a dual 2.0Ghz G5 tower I bought for a 10% discount on the "night of the Panther" at my local Apple store.

I believe I have a total of 6 Macs around the house right now though. My 2 year old daughter has a PowerMac 5500/250 running MacOS 9.1 that's loaded with learning games. I have a PowerMac 7600 with a Sonnet G4 accelerator and PCI Ultra-ATA 100 EIDE card in it, also running MacOS 9.1 - which I keep around for backwards compatibility with older Mac apps I might want to use. (It has a nice SCSI scanner on it too, that has no OS X support. I often use it to create PDF documents from scanned paperwork.) The last 2 Macs are an old IIsi with MacOS 7.6.1 on it and an "all in one" beige G3 system that I'm tinkering around with. (It occasionally freezes up, but swapping the RAM only results in changes in the frequency with which it hangs. So far, none of the RAM I tried fully resolved the issue. The SCSI zip drive I added to it doesn't work either.)

Other than that, my wife and I own a couple of PCs that are in our "computer room" upstairs. (She hates the Mac, so she tends to play MMORPG type games on either of the 2 PCs.)

Giaguara said:
How many Macs do you have? List other OS - computers and the other's computers on the same house, but the basic thing to count is the Macs ...

eMac 1ghz Combo Panther Airport Extreme
First Mac! Loving it.
Also have my old dell deskop which runs Windows 2k, and Red Hat Linux.

I have an iMac Flat Panel 700 MHz with 10.3.2, and a PowerBook 5300cs with Mac OS 8.1. My dad has a Performa 5215CD with Mac OS 8.1

The one I prefer is my iMac, of course...

333mHz Blue Rev. B iMac - OS X 10.2

700mHz Lamp iMac - OS X 10.3

800mHz G4 iBook 12" - OS X 10.3

Mum's - 1gHz G4 iBook 14" - OS X 10.3

Dad's - 500mHz G4 PowerBook Ti - OS 9.2.2

I could have sworn I posted in here...
  • iMac, 400 Mhz G3 (mine)
  • Power Mac G3, 233 Mhz G3 (family computer)
  • iBook, 233 Mhz G3, Indigo (mom's)
  • Power Mac 7300, 400 Mhz G3 (sister's)
  • Power Mac G4, 1.25 Ghz dual G4 (dad's)
And several older 68K machines in the garage.

Powermac G4 500Mhz (processor upgrade from 400Mhz) Radeon 9000, 640Mb RAM, Panther.
Powermac G3 300Mhz (Jumper clocked from 233) Tower, 512, Jaguar (about to sell this).

Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 867 MHz

When it comes time, I'll replace my Sony laptop with either a Power Book or iBook (depending what the iBook offerings are) and my aging Windows desktop with my current G4 (after I buy a new G5, of course). Wi-Fi networking Mac with PCs is not a fun way of spending your day...

I'm longing for the simpler days of an all-Mac household. I switched and never looked back.

I currently only have 4, 1 powerbook G4 867mhz 15", 1 iMac Graphite, 1 original iMac 233mhz "bondi", and 1 iBook 14", I have had an additional 4 others, the first was a 460 performa, the second was a 6400 power pc and the third one was a 6500 power pc and the forth one was, wow I forgot what it was sorry, but I have loved everyone of them and I really love my original 233mhz Bondi, which is what I am using right now, and I have installed panther 10.3.2 on it and it runs great, the only thing not original is that I have changed the hard drive to one out of a 13gb iMac Graphite.
Ron Haas

senne said:
a more interesting question would be: "Who has the oldest Mac on macosx.com"?

I know I do not have the oldest but maybe I have the oldest original iMac 233mhz Bondi,, I bought it the day they were released, and everything is original except for the hard drive which I upgraded to a 13gb, but I still have the original hard drive that came in the iMac, and box including all papers and styrofoam

ron haas

Updated list.

Macs:

• Milnor: PowerBook G3 (with G4/500): Mac OS X v.10.2.6 *
    Euclid: iMac: Mac OS X v10.2.6 (also Mac OS 9.2.1 & Mac OS 9.0.4) *
    n/a: iMac: n/a
    Penrose: Power Macintosh 7500 (with a 604e/220): Mac OS X Server 1.2 (Rhapsody 5.6) *
    Fermi: PowerMac 7100 (with G3/266): Mac OS 8.6 *
    n/a: Power Macintosh 6400/200: Mac OS 8.6
    Doyle: PowerBook Duo 280: Mac OS 8.1
    HAL 9000: Quadra 950: Mac OS 8.1 *
    SAL 9000: Quadra 900: Mac OS 8.1
    Bonnet: Quadra 700: A/UX 3.0.1
    n/a: Macintosh IIci: Mac OS 7.6
    n/a: Macintosh IIcx: System 7.0.1
    n/a: Macintosh LC II: System 7.1
    n/a: Macintosh IIvx: n/a

non-Macs:

• Newton: Apple MessagePad 120: Newton 2.0 *
    n/a: Apple IIc: n/a
    Feynman: IBM ThinkPad 760ED: Rhapsody 5.1 *
    Riemann: DEC Celebris XL5133: Rhapsody 5.1
    n/a: DEC Venturis: n/a (formerly running OPENSTEP 4.2)
    Gauss: SGI Indy: IRIX 6.2 *
    Euler: SGI IRIS Indigo: IRIX 5.3
    Morse: SGI IRIS Indigo: IRIX 5.3
    Archimedes: Sun SPARCclassic: Solaris 7
    n/a: Sun SPARCclassic: n/a (formerly running Solaris 2.4)

* denoted systems in active daily use

I know I'm late to this party, but here goes:

• Macintosh Quadra 650 33 MHz w/ 114 MB RAM (System 7.5.5 & NetBSD 1.6.1)
  • Macintosh Performa 631CD w/ 64 MB RAM (upgraded to a Power Mac 6300 100 MHz via mobo change...not being used at the moment)
  • Power Mac G4 Dual 1.42 GHz w/ 512 MB RAM (at work, Jaguar Server)

I would include the PowerBook G4 12 inch that's going to be ordered for me, but that's still vaporware until it actually shows up. :D

As for the non-Mac computers, here they are:
  • Athlon XP 2400+ PC @ 2 GHz w/ 512 MB RAM, Windoze XP Pro SP1
  • Pentium II PC @ 400 MHz w/ 160 MB RAM, Windoze 98SE (My son's computer for his kiddie games.)
  • Dell Dimension L600R PIII 600 MHz w/ 256 MB RAM, Windoze 2000 Advanced Server SP4 (This is currently acting as my router, but I'm planning on installing Linux in the near future.)
  • AMD 5x86 PR-133 @100 MHz w/ 96 MB RAM (It was once a Linux box, but now is not being used for anything. This was my wife's old computer.)
  • 486-DX2 66 MHz (Gathering dust in the closet)
  • 386-SX motherboard (about to be tossed)

The Dell I got for about 50 bucks with hard drive and CD-ROM drive. It was from my wife's cousin who decided he didn't like the original case and transplanted everything into a nicer black case. It's all good, since I just need it for function, not form (although it does look good in the current case)...plus, it was a complete system for 50 bucks....couldn't pass that up, even for a PC.

I'm also supposed to be getting a motherboard from an old Compaq. Looks like it's an old Celeron 400 MHz system, so I'll be giving that away ASAP (I prefer to put my Cely 300a to use than hold on to that mobo/cpu). Since my sister can't afford anything but is in dire need of a computer, I think I'll give that to her since it's perfect for what she needs.

Anyways, there it is. :D

Mac Plus
Mac IIsi
PowerMac 8100/80AV
PowerMac 7500/100 (upgraded to 200mhz 604e, running Yellow Dog Linux, Rhapsody, OS9) (My favorite Mac)
PowerMac G4 400mhz.
15" Powerbook 1.25Ghz

I have 2 at present, one of which is a server that I am configuring for my father's office.

Actually, between me, my family, and my Dad's office, I am directly responsible for the purchase of at least 16 Macs since 1986... Maybe I should get a medal or something...

Back