How many of us have A.D.D. or A.D.H.D?

• Yes, I have A.D.D.

• I have A.D.H.D.

• I do not, or am unsure.

• I think I might have one of the two.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alex

Registered
I know a few of you have it, now lets see how many admit it!

I think there is some kind of link, the think different "poem" is almost a definition or close parallel to someone with ADD and how they think.

There has been many Doctors and books that suggest that Albert Einstein and Beethoven both had ADD or ADHD. I would think maybe Jobs does too.

So lets see how many of us Mac heads have even more incommon.

well it's not an issue of admiting it, but more of an issue of letting other people know. I have A.D.D., Let the masses know

-thank you for your time

ADD or ADHD
by which definition? I am afraid these terms have become somewhat 'blurred' as often happens with psychiatric/psychological and medical terminology. You should not try to categorize any person with these 'diagnoses' if you are not a professional and have examined him/her personally. Self-diagnosis is just plain stupid, believe me.

Greetings
nervus

I agree, but I know many people who do have it, and to them it is very real.

It's not easy for alot of people.

And for others, its a lable for being lazy. There is a thin line, and there definatly is alot to learn for both the doctors and those who have it.

I may post like it sometimes, but I don't have AD(H)D. I bet Androo does, though. ;)

• ADD: Attention Deficit Disorder

ADHD: Attention Deficit/Hyperactive Disorder
We should be clear on the subject. I, for one, do not consider the association between intelligence and ADD/ADHD to be reasonable or valid. Yes, some intelligent people have it, yes, some not so intelligent people have it. No, there is no real connection.

Current estimates have at least 10% of the world population experiencing some form of ADD/ADHD. I think it is reasonable to expect that 10% of people with IQs in the top 10% have some form and degree of ADD/ADHD. That doesn't make for a direct connection.

Some of us have extended histories with the disorder under it's various names over the years. When I was in school I was subjected to a large battery of tests which labeled me as being Hyperactive. This was hard for my parents and teachers to understand as I surely didn't seem "hyperactive" in any way.

When the term Attention Deficit Disorder was brought into play, things started to make more sense. After further testing I was diagnosed with "severe Attention Deficit Disorder of the inactive type". With that diagnosis I was given a prescription for Dexedrine (aka Dextroamphetamine), which was twice as strong as Ritalin. It was helpful in school where I was called upon to do tasks that were hard for me but easier for the other students, but I have found that reworking how I work to play to my strengths (which I can do more out of school) worked also.

I haven't had any medication for nearly four years now. My current work lets me focus on tasks as they come up and not on a schedule (systems and networks rarely break down on a schedule), so at this point I don't feel any need for the medication.

I do think self-diagnosis is both wrong and in some cases dangerous. I had years of treatment and testing to get a definite answer. It has made my life harder, so I find those who treat it as the "disorder of the month" a little distasteful.

In my real life interactions, I would not bring it up or share it with others. Specially with the fad status it has achieved.

actually, everyone in the world has it... just some have it more than others :)
I suppose once its completely visible, when you just CANT pay attention, that's when it matters, and you need medication. I can pay attention to 2 things at once, unless i fall asleep :p [LIKE IN GEO CLASS!]

RacerX, I agree with you.
BTW when I started my professional training ADD and ADHD were not invented yet: the term used back then was MBD (=minimal brain disorder) suggesting a possible cause for the fenomena. :rolleyes: This acronym was also used too often and wrongly: almost every ill-behaved brat was marked MBD. Nonsense, of course, but it happened. :confused:

Greetings
nervus

What I Feel With ADD:
While working on something (fun or not unless it is entirely immersive) I get destracted by other things that are more indepth/fun and lose all track of whats happening around me .

What I Have Herd ADHD Is Like:
Everything above plus having the TV and Radio on inside your head at the same time. constant thoughts. can't shut it up. Sometimes speaking them aloud hoping that they maybe go away

Because I am in RSP (think Special Education) I work with and interact with a kid in my 4th period class who can't sit still, and/or can't stop talking. Not because he wants to, but because he can't help it...

Back