How many people use Os X (1million 2 million ?...)

gigi

Registered
hi,
does anyone know how many Mac Os X users there are curently ? is it thousands or millions or what ?

Millions. Something like 3 million I think. Steve Jobs said how many at the MWNY keynote. I have it on a video tape (not from broadcast TV, from video out on my powerbook), but I lent it to a friend. I'll give you the figure soon.

There are 2.5 million Mac OSX users out there. This is what Steve Jobs said during the keynote, including that they had several means of triangulating that number and they all point to the same estimate.

One funny thing, though: he also said that there had been 4 million iPhoto downloads. iPhoto being a MacOSX-only application, there may be even more MacOSX users out there, or some users downloaded that application multiple times (from different computers)... Go figure.

So at least 2.5 million Mac OSX users, which they consider to be 20% of the Mac users, which brings the Mac user size to 12.5 million... Not bad.

Originally posted by marmotton
There are 2.5 million Mac OSX users out there. This is what Steve Jobs said during the keynote, including that they had several means of triangulating that number and they all point to the same estimate.

One funny thing, though: he also said that there had been 4 million iPhoto downloads. iPhoto being a MacOSX-only application, there may be even more MacOSX users out there, or some users downloaded that application multiple times (from different computers)... Go figure.

So at least 2.5 million Mac OSX users, which they consider to be 20% of the Mac users, which brings the Mac user size to 12.5 million... Not bad.

Actually, Apple hopes to HAVE 20% of all Mac users on Mac OS X by the end of the year. The quoted 2.5 million users was said to be 10% of Apple's user base, which would mean there are actually 25 million Mac users out there.

And by the way, when Steve Jobs says "Mac OS X" users, he means FULL TIME. That explains the discrepancy between iPhoto downloads and Mac OS X users. I'm sure many people downloaded iPhoto to test it out in Mac OS X, but either continue to use Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 side by side, or just wanted a peek at iPhoto.

Back