How much faster can 10.3 be??

And low cost... once it's paid. You just add some $100 for each 5000 pages for the ink !

Maybe I just stupid, but I don't get the whole speed issue here. I have been forced into 9.2 for the past three days and it has me screaming - it is soo slow. I just have an old clamshell with 288 megs, but Jaguar seems much faster, especially with multiple programs and various documents open.

Then about 10.3 - how can it be anything but slower on my old machine. I have no vram to speak of and as the code grows - features added - I expect that my performance will wane. To get the benefit of an up-to-date operating system, I'll need up-to-date hardware.

But at the moment (for me), things work, so why fix them. Apple Watcher - upgrade if you need to, but on the basis of your need, not on the basis of the hope of what some future project could do.

Seems the premise of this thread is a whine that the Mac is too expensive. Well, you get what you pay for.

Originally posted by AppleWatcher
the programming languages they use, are only available for Windows. And like you said, gaming is much - _MUCH_ - faster on a Windows PC than on a Mac...

From my experiences studying computer science and software engineering at the Rochester Institute of Technology (#1 in the country for SE at the time), a Mac was far better than a PC for my studies.

The computer lab we were using at the time was using Solaris/SPARC to host everything, and OS X had just come out... I could use XDarwin/XFree86 to login remotely to the Solaris window server on one of the machines in the lab, and do all my work from my dorm room as if I was in the lab. Except I had access to all my bookmarks and previous projects on my hard disk that I could access to facilitate in any project I was working on. A lot of friends who were using Windows would ask to use my computer for their projects too (Linux users could of course do the samething I was).

Of course, all the compilers, etc. were available for MacOS X too, so I really could do all the compiling and debugging on my own computer as well... Windows had a few ports, but not all of them, or they didn't work very well.

I'd say as a development platform, MacOS X is considerably superior to Windows XP. I love the development kit that comes with it for free too. If you're into programming, stick with the Mac.

Cheers,
Dak

Originally posted by boi
i'm trying to follow the logic here. 10.2 is slow on your old mac, so you're going to abandon X altogether and buy a new, fast, pc?
what about the option of buying a new, fast, mac? X.2 screams on my dual 867. $1700 + $100 to upgrade to ATI Radeon 9000. multitasking, as stated, is where X shines.
also, have you tried tweaking the OS to make it a bit faster?

Yes you are quite right, I have a 733 Quicksilver with a MX 4 card and 10.2 it runs very nice. The only thing that is a little faster in 9 is the finder. Windows may open a little faster but I can't run as many programs at the same time. I never lock up in X and have to force restart my computer.

Back