How much memory can I get?

TxCarGuy

Registered
Hello everyone. I have a PowerMacG4 Tower, 800 Mhz, 256Mb RAM, 133 Bus Speed, MacOS 10.4 and a hard drive that will take years to fill up. Well, not anymore. I also have two more memory slots that are free. I am about to purchase Photoshop CS2 in the next few months and noticed that the requirements are more than what I currently have when it comes to RAM. My quesion is, could I add a 512Mb memory card or should I just go with another 256Mb card? Or more? Thanks in advance

Try and get as much as your money will allow you. If you can afford the 512 MB, get it. If you can afford a 1GB stick or kit of 2 512 MB sticks, get it. OS X loves more memory and knows how to manage it very well. Just make sure you get well-known RAM from the likes of Kingston, Crucial, and some others. Check out RamSeeker or MemoryTen (formerly MemoryX) to find out which memory is good for you at the price you want.

> You need PC133, 3.3v, unbuffered, 8-byte, non-parity 168-pin SDRAM for your 800MHz G4 tower. (You have 3 RAM slots.)

> Get the 512 MB stick! (I'm not 100% certain - but I don't think your Mac will take a I GB stick...) Crucial brand is the best IMHO.

> BTW - 256 MB is pretty much the bare minimum for running OS X Tiger. So once you bump it up to 768 MB +, not only will Adobe CS2 be able to run, but everything else will show a noticable performance increase too. Mac OS X just loves RAM...

Back