How much RAM for an OS X-based server?

dbrogan

Registered
I'm getting ready to buy a new iMac that will be used as an Apache-based webserver running OS X. It will also be running FileMaker Pro.

How much RAM should I install to ensure the best performance?

-Dan

The rule is;

Go as high as you can afford.

If you can get 42.78 gigs in there go for it. Ram is cheap, and 128 seems to be a good number. Also consider if you'll be working on the machine or if it is dedicated to running as a server. If you are using the machine, then go up to 256.

You're right: RAM is cheap these days. And more is always better. But is 128 MB adequate for Apache, php, etc. to do their stuff without compromising performance?

-Dan

it all depends on how much of a load that the server is going to have. if it's only a few users at a time 128 would probably be adequate. If it was me I'd put at least 256 in it. RAM right now is cheap

Put as much as you can afford without having to abandon anything else more important (CD-RW, ZIP, etc...)

seeing as how it's going to be a webserver, I doubt he'll be needing a CD-RW or Zip drive. toss in a 256 mb stick and you won't have to worry about it.

I agree if he has no mail server to back-up or other incoming information

How many people are going to be hitting the site? I cannot speak for FileMaker, but Apache will spawn a httpd daemon for each connection. Each daemon will consume a tiny bit of your RAM.
Are we talking 10,000 page views a month? or 10,000 page views a day? If you are running off of an iMac, I'm guessing it won't be that heavily abused.

Running your FileMaker Database will be more processor hungry than Apache, but i bet that running both you will want MUCH more than 128 MB. Plus, $100 now will save you some headaches later.

I would recommend AT LEAST 512MB.

Also, don't forget that OSX itself will consume about 60 - 70 MB's of whatever RAM you have installed. If it doesn't have enough RAM, you will start getting page-outs, which will affect your hard disk performance, which will in turn affect your database performance.

FaRuvius

Ram is cheap all right. For 100, you could hit a gig. I recommend buying 512 now and when it comes down even more get another 512, hell they are only 50 dollars each. The problem with buying say 256mb is that, say you decide you want to go to a gig at sometime, you will lose the 256mb chip. I know this because I made that mistake. I plan on upping both my machines to a gig, unfortunatly I already purchased 256, and 128, and I know im going to be wanting the max amount for my Sparkling new Power Mac G5 this January and 256 is just not going to cut it. By the way OS X LOVES RAM. I will use every MB to its full extent.

Back