How Slow are Xfree win mangers supposed to be???

vic

RRRrrrRRRrrrRRrrr
i got gnome and some window managers running, and they are SLOOOOW when resizing and dragging (i know i can make/give the a os 9 like draging/resizing frame tingamajig) but it's still slow! is this because it's running ontop of darwin and osx so other things slow it down? or it's just that slow even on pure linux installs?

No, they're not that slow in a native environment. Running XFree on X right now is an exercise in patience. As you suggest, there's layers on layers on layers, and it can't help but be a bit sluggish.

You might check out a window manager called Orobor. The folks working on that have done a really nice job of integrating the whole XFree thing in MacOS X. It's somewhat faster than using Gnome, etc. on my 'Book...

If you run XFree86 in rootless mode, live window dragging should be as smooth as any other window in OS X. Resizing ain't pretty still, but hey, it's something.

And yea, OroborOSX is great. It makes using Gaim a lot nicer.

this is somewuat, not really though related, i want to install yellow dog linux, and MOL (mac on linux) they suggest like a 2 gig partition to install os 9 onto, and the rest be formated to get linux running on, but, if i get everyting going, and i'm using let's say photoshop in mol, and i want to safe will i only be able to save to the hfs partition (os 9) or can i save from mol to the linux data partition? i really haver no experience with this so if anyone has any suggestions...

Back