how slow will leopard be on my g4 ibook w/ 947mhz (?) and 512 mb ram?

I doubt it will be slow, it would probably be about average, it probably would take a little longer when dealing with huge apps or multiple apps. But i'm pretty sure you'll be fine with it.

If you open up the System Profiler, you should be able to find out from there if your drive is a CD-ROM or a DVD-ROM drive. Just go to the Apple at the top left, Select About This Mac, and then click the More Info button.

Once System Profiler launches, check in the tree for anything having to do with the optical drive.

so i assume this means i have one
any other reasons why it won't let me install

ATA-3 Bus:

MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8123:

Manufacturer: MATSHITA
Model: MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8123
Revision: CA0T
Serial Number:
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-ROM
Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

What is your processor speed? (there is no 947)
Are you trying to do an erase and install or an upgrade install? If you have less than 9 GB free space installation will give an error.

What's your filesystem? HFS+ or other?
In the installer menu, go to Utilities > Disk Utility and see what it finds - any disk errors? Any non-HFS+ volume?

I run Leopard on a G4 1.5 PB with 1gig, admittedly a bit faster than yours, although I found disabling dashboard made OS significantly faster.

doesn't matter.
i got a copy of 10.4 and that's good enough for me
someone told me yesterday that you can't jump from 10.3 to 10.5 and that was probably my problem

doesn't matter.
i got a copy of 10.4 and that's good enough for me
someone told me yesterday that you can't jump from 10.3 to 10.5 and that was probably my problem

You should be able to upgrade from 10.3 to 10.5 with the retail disc. However, I usually back up and perform a clean install of any new operating systems I install. That way, there are no remnants of the old system and everything is nice and clean as it should be. After that, I just migrate all my backups back to the computer.

If you still have the discs and decide to try again with Leopard, backup your data, format the drive in Disk Utility with the installation disc, and perform a Clean Install. This will probably give you a much better experience.

Back