How the iPod Changed My Life

ohmelas

Registered
Remember your first walkman and how those other guys with the ghetto blasters (i.e. boombox) were somehow uncool with all that added weight. Then remember when you bought your first CD player and they finally came in your car. The iPod has changed my life more than any of these previous inventions.

For years now, I've struggled in my automobile searching for CD's, missing a few or looking dangeriously under the seat with one hand while driving for those round peskly little pieces of digital media. I've often wondered how I could keep my car clean. Worse, in wisconsin if I left the CD out in the car in these bitter and cold winters and I wanted to listen to the CD inside, it would take more than slippers to venture back outside after hours to get my precious music.

Furthermore, there were the frequent moments, I would often deny myself as I'd have one of my favorite songs in my head and be far removed from any listening devices. How could we have gone so long with out the iPod?

I'm an average joe. I love my music just as much as the next guy. In fact I've been collecting these CD's since the days of hairbands and Bon Jovi's hair was as tall as a typical fast food marquee. That being said, my collection grew and grew and grea and some of my songs got lost in the shuffle as for my wedding we thought we had it made when we bought one of those CD jukeboxes. That was nice for a while but I had about 200 other CD's that weren't getting the rotation and alphabetizing and listening to older CDs that weren't CD Text didn't quite work with that invention like the iTunes library does. That database on iTunes made my life just a pleasure!

So here I am in 2004. I have my very first iPod and its the big one. 40GB of all 600+ CD's in my library. I was concerned at first on spending such a modest sum on a little piece of gear. Afterall I'd spent far less on other musical appliances and wasn't quite happy (i.e. that 300-disk jukebox). I was worried. I bought an iTrip as a companion piece and listen to my tunes where ever I go. The CD player had been removed from the stereo and sold on Ebay and every CD I now have is in this little white box. No more looking for CD's. No more crawling through the Wisconsin snow to get that song so it can get out of my head. I truely have for the first time in my life, music on tap and I'm the happies guy in the world. So now, with more than these uses, I'm going for a jog and my ears will be tingling with the joys of my own music from this beautiful iPod. Thanks Apple.

If you don't have an iPod don't settle for those other MP3 players. Wait and save up and buy an iPod. It's the single greatest piece of musical satisfaction that I've ever owned.

Hear, hear! Same here. Although I don't have a car. But I hooked the iPod up to my home stereo. Makes me wonder why those other machines in my home stereo are so big. ;-)

Cause they weren't made by Apple! :)
No, honestly, would you really like me to tell you why?

Nah, that's why there was the emoticon. I actually like those standard-wide things and would love to add an Apple home appliance to the stack instead of the iPod. However: There isn't one. So it's the iPod for now. ;-)

I agree completely... my iPod has changed my life too...

I never thought I'd be "one of those people" to say some thing could change their life... that statement seemed so trite to me for some reason. But there is something about being able to have music with you everywhere you go, literally at your fingertips, has improved my mood throughout the day.

If I'm feeling a bit down, I put on an inspirational song that I know will lift my spirits. No more toggling between the five radio stations that all play the same songs over and over again... or worse yet... only play commercials. I can jump -- free from DJ overlaid cometary -- right to the song I want to listen to.

When I first bought my iPod, I really thought I was splurging. I remember the post-purchase guilt I felt when the package arrived. Don't get me wrong I was happy to see it delivered to my desk, but the thought "did I spend too much on a music player?" did cross my mind. But that was the last moment of doubt. I haven't doubted my purchase since. I use my iPod every day... in the morning on the way to work, while at work, on my way home, when I take walks or jog, at home for background noise, all the way to bed time where I sometimes listen to my iPod to help me go to sleep. I have playlists that I've made for special occasions. I made one for Valentines Day recently... it had all of my "love" songs in one play list. Or my "friends over" playlist... which gets played -- you guessed it -- when I have a few friends over to my apartment.

It's a very powerful tool, and the bonus to me, is that it's an Apple product. I'm really proud of Apple for the way they produced the iPod. And I show it off whenever I get a chance to.

A few people at work were very impressed last week, when my iPod single handedly DJ'ed a recent work-related get together. It took me 5 minutes to compile a playlist of music that weeded out music that some of my coworkers might have found offensive (I listen to some rap) as well as other music that would have slowed the event down (I also listen to classical music). I must have sold 20 iPods that night.

My very first iPod is being delivered tomorrow (Tuesday). I can't wait!! I went for the big 40gb and I don't think I'll be disapointed. I've never seen one in 'real life' or never known anyone who's had one. They've only been a dream on a magazine page, or on a web site. So, apart from reading these fabulous reports here (and elsewhere), I don't really know what to expect in terms of size, ease of use etc. I know the dimensions and that its as light as 2cds blah blah, but until I've got it in my hand I can't appreciate it

I'll let you know tomorrow my first impressions!

I think you'll first be impressed by the size... I have a 30 gig and it still amazes me that it's as small as it is.

But then you'll actually get to using it and I think you'll soon find yourself posting the ways in which it changed your life. :)

Back