How to assign an AD user admin rights on a 10.4.2 client?

-Monkey-

Registered
Can somebody please tell me how to assign admin rights on a 10.4.2 client machine to an Active Directory user?

Our AD is Windows hosted on our corporate network. I can log in on the client, using my AD authenticated account. I do have a local Admin account on the machine too of course. However, I need to assign selected AD users, or preferably an AD admin group, to be able to log in on the client with admin privs.

I use LDAPv3 for AD authentication. The Active Directory plugin is disabled (can't be used as it won't bind the machine to AD).

When I log in as admin on the Mac client and open System Preferences, Accounts, I can see no obvious way of even looking up our AD users, let alone assigning them admin privs. Can't make a local copy of an AD account, not least because it's against the company security rules to have local accounts on networked machines.

Seems like an obvious thing to want to do but there's nothing obvious (that I can see) about how to do it. Any help would be most appreciated thanks. I've got ten Macs to get configured a.s.a.p. :(

Hmmm - I don't know much about AD and LDAPv3 authentication, but how about taking a look at 'Netinfo Manager' and the possibilites you have to assign users to the admin group there ?

Back