How to change an app's icon

shatteringglass

Registered
I can't seem to paste a custom icon on top of an application's or an application's alias's original icon in the Show Info box. Mac OS X does seem to respond when I try to paste over the original icon of the application. Is there a workaround? It seems like everyone else is able to do it.

copy & paste is the right way ...

...but sometimes you may have to log out and back in again to make the change take effect... try that ... ;)

also: you can't change all the icons, the icon for mail.app for instance or for internet connect can't be changed, as it consists of various different icons depending on whether you're online or not, whether you've got mail or not etc... you can change it, but it will change back as soon as you use the app...

Any ideas with OmniWeb 4? I copy/paste, but when I launch it the Dock App Icon changes. Do I need to replace the OmniWeb.icns file with the Icon I want?:)

Originally posted by shatteringglass
I can't seem to paste a custom icon on top of an application's or an application's alias's original icon in the Show Info box. Mac OS X does seem to respond when I try to paste over the original icon of the application. Is there a workaround? It seems like everyone else is able to do it.

Depends on what icons you want to change....if it's the default icons then you will need a workaround. If you want to change the default icons that apple has come up with try this page

Originally posted by rhale1
Any ideas with OmniWeb 4? I copy/paste, but when I launch it the Dock App Icon changes. Do I need to replace the OmniWeb.icns file with the Icon I want?:)

yeah, omniweb doesn't seem to work... maybe replacing the .icns in resources will work, i never tried that... if it works, let us know ... :)

Got It!

You need to use a app like Iconographer and make a new OmniWeb.icns file. Then, you need to make a 128 pixel .tiff image (this is what makes it change back into the OmniWeb Default Icon). I'm still getting the TIFF correct. There must be no white space.

-Ryan

Back