How to change partition size w/o reformat?

fuzz

Registered
Hi,

Does anybody know whether it is possible to change my hard drive partition size without reformatting? I just purchased iLife and it requires 10GB free on my applications/system hard drive. I've my drive divided into an application/system drive partition and a data drive partition. I've only 5 GB available on my application/system drive and 24 GB available on my data partition.

I can't believe i've run into this problem! I should stop purchasing Battlestar Galatica episodes on iTunes. Thanks for your help!

dw

with having had the right software installed before hand, and having used it to make the partitions in the first place, i don't think there is. may be time to do some archiving, and reinstalling. and i would just leave it at one partition. i have yet to find a need for a scheme like that on a mac. windows on the other hand is a live saving must, but not on the mac.

I don't think it is possible to partition a hard drive without formatting it.
But if u can - I'd be very interested to know how...

If it's an intel Mac, you can use diskutil in Terminal as long as the harddrive's partitioned in GPT (should be, I guess). If you're on a PPC Mac, there's a (non-free) software called iPartition. It's 35 EUR - and I don' know whether it's good. http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15360

thanks for the suggestions, but after reading the software feedback comments, i think i should just do a full backup and reformat. i was hoping to save an hour or two of work.

Back