How to convert Quicktime to RealPlayer format?

patrean

Registered
I have 10 movies in Quicktime format to be placed on a website but the client wants them encoded to RealPlayer format...can someone point me in the right direction. Do I need a specific application or will Quicktime Pro do the job.

Thanks

Tell him he's an idiot. I'd much rather see QuickTime format than RealPlayer.

I won't even look at RealPlayer files and don't even have the player installed. I'm not alone.

To follow up on simbalala's post, if your client's videos are posted as .mpg files, everyone on every platform can view them. If he posts them as .mov files, most people on most platforms can view them. If he posts them as .wmv files, then every Windows user and the Mac users who put themselves to the trouble can view them. If he posts them in Real format, some Mac users and some Windows users who bother to download and install Real Player will view them. He will also alienate a large percentage of his potential audience.

The last version of Real's encoder only worked in classic/os9 mode. And I was never impressed with the quality.

If you do decide to use WMV, make sure you use a codec that is Mac friendly.

And I agree, using RealPlayer is suicide these days.

Definitely try to stick with a well recognized standard format. Going RealPlayer only would be on of the worst choices.

Thanks for all the info. I had a suspicion the client was wrong in his choice of format and now have more than enough infomation to get back to him. Now...how do I convert them to an .mpg format that PC and Mac users can read without having to install additional codecs?

I found Cleaner6 to be quite a challenge when exporting to .mpg, the quality wasn't great and the file size seemed to increase. Is there a simple drag and drop app to be found?

Thanks again.

Robn Kester said:
The last version of Real's encoder only worked in classic/os9 mode. And I was never impressed with the quality.

If you do decide to use WMV, make sure you use a codec that is Mac friendly.

And I agree, using RealPlayer is suicide these days.

Hmmm interesting, Real Player has been no problem for me and find it streams better then WMV, although the quality is lower.

But what MisterMe says makes sense, wish every site would just use mpg and make everyone happy. At least with mpg you can easily convert them to burn onto DVD if ya wish, but other formats are just a hassle in the case of having to switch players even.

I only looked at this thread to find out why anyone in their right mind would actually want to use the "real" format. I won't even think about trying to watch a Real movie.

RealPlayer is better than Windows Media Player, IMO.

But the important thing is that EVERYONE hates RealPlayer. Mac users love QuickTime, and Windows users love Windows Media Player. Nobody loves RealPlayer.

As for how to convert to MPEG. I recommend.....ffmpegX! (See my sig.)

Back