How to copy an application over SSH

DominikHoffmann

Registered
I am wondering how I can copy an application over an SSH connection. I tried to tar and gzip it, but it lost its resource fork.

I tried to launch a remote AppleScript that would instruct DropStuff to compress the app, but it wouldn't work, beause, presumably, I need to be logged in through the GUI to make DropStuff launch remotely. I can't do that because that machine is 1200 mi. away.

There probably is also some way to set up a file sharing connection through an SSH tunnel, but I don't have any documentation handy to try to figure that one out. It would have to be SSH, because all other ports on my router at the remote location are not open.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Dominik Hoffmann

You need to have stuffit deluxe in order to use it via command line, and the copying will have to be done via scp (scp user@host:/path/to/the/file path/to/destination, user@host: moves depending on direction of copying, above works when copying from somewhere to your current comp) you can use developer tools CpMac to compress the files in commandline too, it's modified cp, and it preserves the resfork, see http://www.westwind.com/reference/OS-X/commandline/files-folders.html for more information

I've used Fugu to SFTP in and then SCP the files.

Fugu is a free SFTP app you can find on versiontracker.com

SFTP and SCP are builtin functions, why would one need gui to control them? well...just my drunken opinion now:) I use scp to copy miles to/from school account whenever need to in terminal...easy as eating when once learned...

Back