how to fix crashes in Sharity!

fabio lecca

Hello all,

I just discovered why sharity "crashes" on startup!
Well, first of all, it doesn't crash at all, but if you open the terminal and try to execute the program from the command line, you will receive this error:

[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root# /Applications/

Oct 07 17:58:13 Sharity[419] Unable to load nib file: AppleMain_Sharity, exiting

This should be kept in mind: because of the UNIX nature of MacOS X some programs give their output on the console....

So the problem is that it doesn't find the AppleMain_Sharity.nib file but if you list the contents of the file is there (it is a subdirectory: /Applications/

so what's wrong with it? if you list it, here is the result:

[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root# ls -l
total 264
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 2174 Oct 6 23:48 ExpertDis.
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 2174 Oct 6 23:48 ExpertEn.t
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 330 Oct 6 23:48 Image-1.ti
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3614 Oct 6 23:48 NoE.tiff
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 70950 Oct 6 23:48 ShLrg.tiff
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 975 Oct 6 23:48
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 4514 Oct 6 23:48 huelle.tif
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 13250 Oct 6 23:48 obdev.tiff
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 9941 Oct 6 23:48
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 330 Oct 6 23:48 verlauf.ti

for some odd reason (a bug somewhere) the installer did not create the correct file names but they where truncated.

If you just rename the files to their correct names the application will just run fine! here are the correct names:

[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root# ls /Applications/
ExpertDis.tiff Image-1.tiff ShLrg.tiff huelle.tiff objects.nib
ExpertEn.tiff NoE.tiff data.classes obdev.tiff verlauf.tiff
[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root#

Hope this helps!

Fabio Lecca
Originally posted by fabio lecca
I just discovered why sharity "crashes" on startup!

This is great.
Don't know if you already told them, but since i have been mailing with their dev team. I mailed your post to them. I'm sure they will find a way to fix this now.

This truncating of filenames doesn't happen if you use "gnutar" rather than "tar" to untar the installer. You can also use OpenUp if you don't like CLI tools.

Use either of these methods and the installer works great.

-- Alex