How to hide imap servers in Tiger Mail.app?

Lazarus18

In debt medical student
So I had an IMAP server on mail.app when I was using Panther. When I upgraded to Tiger I had no problems with it. I have recently added a second IMAP account, but for whatever reason Tiger treats this one differently and it annoys me.

See the attached screenshot to make things most clear. The new IMAP account has its nice little mailbox icon, but then there is also a server icon that shows .mailboxlist and other folders. When I get new email there are new email icons by both the drawer icon and the world icon. I can't seem to get rid of the icon at the bottom. Any ideas?

Attachments

• screenshot.jpeg
    screenshot.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 14
Lazarus18 said:
So I had an IMAP server on mail.app when I was using Panther. When I upgraded to Tiger I had no problems with it. I have recently added a second IMAP account, but for whatever reason Tiger treats this one differently and it annoys me.

See the attached screenshot to make things most clear. The new IMAP account has its nice little mailbox icon, but then there is also a server icon that shows .mailboxlist and other folders. When I get new email there are new email icons by both the drawer icon and the world icon. I can't seem to get rid of the icon at the bottom. Any ideas?
My guess is that you did not give your accounts unique names of their own. You can fix this by editing your accounts to replace their default names with names of your choosing.

Lazarus18 said:
No, they are all named by me.
Are you saying that you tried to give the same name to two different accounts? From what I see, your POP account retained its default name assigned by Mail and you did not try to use custom names for either of your IMAP accounts. Your first IMAP account originally had the default name IMAP. When you added a second IMAP account, the default name had already been taken. So, your existing IMAP account was automatically renamed Old IMAP. Your new IMAP account became New IMAP.

If the scenario above is mistaken, feel free to tell us what really happened.

Those are not the names of the accounts. I changed them right before I took the screenshot because I'm becoming a more paranoid privacy freak by the day. Apparently the names I chose are also the default names, leading to some confusion. In reality the "old IMAP" is my fastmail account and named accordingly, the "New IMAP" has the name of the university that provides the account.

Back