How to install DVR-A04 (Superdrive) into a Quicksilver Mac

MarkMonroe

Registered
I think I've checked out the whole web but I couldn't find the instructions and information I needed:

I own a PowerMac Quicksilver G4 733 with a CD writer. I'd like to replace the internal CD writer with the Pioneer DVR-A04 (Superdrive). I found instructions how to install a DVR-A04 model into a pre-Quicksilver Mac but I am not sure if this really helps since the Quicksilver tower looks quite different. I've come across rumours that I can install the DVR-A04 and it will run with iDVD. But nobody seems to have personal experience with that. Is there anybody out there who installed a DVR-A04 (or DVR-A03) into a Quicksilver Mac and knows for sure if it is compatible with iDVD? Any problems with drivers etc.? Thanks.

Mark

If pre-Quicksilvers installed software, the Quicksilver will too. The trick is physically installing it.
Open the cover and look around the CD-RW. You'll see that the "dock" is connected with 4 screws, one on the front, 2 on the top, 1 on the bottom. Pull it out once you're rid of these and unscrew the CD-RW itself. Now simply repeat this backwards with your superdrive.

I read in a German magazin (MacUp) that I need an ATAPI-Mac and that I need to change the ATAPI interface from PO-Mode4 (16 MB/s) to UDMA/33 (33 MB/s).

Now I'm pretty confused. Does my Quicksilver have an ATAPI interface? And what do I have to change???

So, I finally bought the Pioneer DVR-A04 drive. I installed it in my G4 733 Quicksilver. No problem to install. I found instructions for how to change a CD drive of a Quicksilver Mac on http://www.maceinsteiger.de/html/anleitung/g4_qs_cd.shtml (in German though) and, of course, it also works for a DVD drive.

I haven't burned any CDs or DVDs yet but programs (including iDVD!) seem to work just fine.

No driver problems so far either.

And now I created my first home movie DVD! No problems at all. iDVD works fine and burning the DVD was just smooth.

I filled the DVD with 55 minutes of movie time. Encoding of the movies took about 3 times as long, so roughly 3 hours. Burning took about 30 minutes.

The DVD runs perfectly on my stand alone DVD player. Picture looks fine.:)

i found a pioneer dvr-104 which is the OEM equiv of the ao4 so im wondering if that will work too...

hmmmmm whatchya guys think? will OEM work?

104 or A04. I think both work. The only difference is probably that you don't get any programs (PC) which you don't need anyway.

I have a G4 500Mhz Bi pro with ADC output (bought 16 months ago) and I installed succefully Pioneer DVD driver.
I burn al ot of DVDs using IDVD both uner OSX and Classic.
it works fine.

NOTE:
the problem is to find the software:
I got it when a purchased a new brand 1000 mhz bi pro with superdrive 6 months ago.

feel free to contatc me by mail.

Back