How to install OSX on iMac with broken DVD-ROM drive?

Ralph J.

enjoys cheese
I have a friend who wants me to help him install OSX on his iMac DV SE. However, his internal DVD-ROM drive is non-functional. He has been using a Que! Fire CD-RW as a replacement for the broken internal DVD-ROM drive.

So, my question. How can I install OSX on this machine without a functioning internal optical drive?

To compound the problem further, this friend lives 3 hours away from me, so I don't have immediate access to his machine. I would like to figure out a workable solution before i drive 3 hours to his home.

Does anyone know if the OSX installer will boot from a Que! Fire CD-RW drive? Is a network install possible? What about using a utility like Carbon Copy Cloner or ditto from the CLI to copy a pre-installed OSX from another machine to the iMac? What about using firewire target disk mode? Or what about using the XpOSfacto utility with the Que! Fire drive?

Will any of these methods work? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Actually, I'd love to hear the answer as I have the same problem. And while we're at it... anyone know what to do about getting the DVD fixed/replaced?

Thanks

Back