how to know what to look for

morning

supernew
Hi, I read some of the posts here, but as usual, I don''t understand a lot of it. (sorry if this is already covered)
I just recently got a wireless router to use with my new ibook at home.(i live in an apartment complex). I also have my stinky windows desktop hooked up to it. But when I click on the airport icon up at the top, I very often see other networks listed. Mine is called default. but I also see one called ARMS all the time that I cannot join without a password. Is this someone using my internet wireless? How can I protect it so that I make sure that no one can access the internet through my router without permission. I installed the router through the desktop, now I can't seem to access anything on the router specifically. It isn't like a program runnig I don't think....

also, is it possible for someone to access my computers through this router?
please help, I don't wan't to be invaded

I believe there is an option to only use preferred networks in the Airport configuration under System Preferences-->Network.

BTW, you also might want to change that SSID name from "default" to something else and don't have the router broadcast the SSID (if you know what it's going to be, no one else needs to know ;)). Also make sure that you enable encryption. Don't bother with WEP if you don't have to. Stick with WPA or, even better, WPA2 for encryption. You can also add an extra bit level of security by enabling MAC filtering. Once that's enabled, only the MAC addresses for the computers or network cards that you allow on the wireless connection will be able to associate with the wireless router.

'I ... see ... ARMS all the time that I cannot join without a password. Is this someone using my internet wireless?' - quite the opposite, it is you trying to access someone else's wireless network.

barhar said:
'I ... see ... ARMS all the time that I cannot join without a password. Is this someone using my internet wireless?' - quite the opposite, it is you trying to access someone else's wireless network.

yes I reallize that it is another network, but I don't understand why I can see it. is it just the airport card detecting other networks in the area? or can it mean that this network is running off of my router?

if it is the first, then what will ensure that my network is also impenetrable? is it oneof the steps that nixgeek just told me about?

sorry to be so dense...

nixgeek, could you tell me how to enable mac filtering. do I have to find the disk that came with my router?

morning said:
Is it just the airport card detecting other networks in the area?

Bingo. That is exactly what it is. Someone in your vicinity has a wireless network, and they've named it "ARMS". Since it is not your network, you can pretty much just ignore it. No, it isn't in any way connected to your network (unless you deliberately put in the password and connect to it).

Regarding the MAC filtering, that should be an option in your wireless router that can be configured through the HTML configuration page. To access that page, simply open up your web browser and type in the IP address of your wireless router. It will probably ask you for a username and password, which depends on the type of router you have. If you haven't set a password (which I recommend you do first before anything), check your manual for the factory default password. Once you type it in it should let you in the configuration page where you can change the password, enable MAC filtering under the Wireless section, and anything else you might want to do.

that worked like a charm, thanks to you both for explaining that all to me. I feel much more secure now.

Back