How to Learn Cocoa

stereoboy20

Registered
Hi. I have no programming experience, except REALbasic. Which would be the best way to learn Cocoa? Notw that I'd have to learn Java first, but all the tutorials I find are just like cocoa doesn't exist. Isn't there a way to learn cocoa+java from scratch at the same time?

// Javadebut.java: A software for typing my first line.
public class Javadebut
{public static void main(String[] args)
{ System.out.println(
"Ask a javabook under the Christmastree.");
}
}

I'm currently learning Java, and started out developing in Lotus Notes, the web, etc.

I've always wanted to be able to get into development on my home machine (which has always been a Mac), and at last Mac OS X has given me the incentive to do so with its Java 2 integration and Cocoa technology.

But I've got a rev B (i.e. 233MHz G3) iMac with 256 MB RAM. And I don't think it's going to cut in with OS X from what I've read.

So maybe I have to wait, and carry on developing on my work PC.

What a shame. But for you, I'd say just get in there and go for it!

A good Java book I've found is, of all things, a SAMS one!:

"Teach Yourself Java 2 in 21 Days Professional Reference Edition", (2nd Edition) by Rogers Cadenhead and Laura Lemay

I use a G3 233 laptop when I'm away from my desk, and it works fine with X. Don't get me wrong, I feel the speed difference big time between it and my dual 450, but it's definitely enough for coding. Just don't try to play Oni on it. :)

Well, it kind of depends. The Cocoa API's are generally more geared towards helping you create a user interface, which requires you to be pretty good with object oriented design. That's not exclusivley true, but I think there are plenty of java API's for you to learn before learning the Cocoa API's. If you think you are game, it shouldn't take you very long at all to learn the syntax of java; it's really easy, considering it performs garbage collection for you. There are "this"'s and .stuff() and .stuff and other stuff, but it's all pretty easy after you now OO.

Honestly, I'd learn java first, then learn cocoa. It will be a lot easier if you have the rules of java in general down before you try to learn an API, IMHO.

Just my 2 cents,
F-bacher

Once you learn Java, you'll be amazed by how fast you'll be able to create a Cocoa app. You are pretty much using the Cocoa frameworks to design the user interface.

If you just read a bit about Swing and how it uses objects and sets and controls properties of those objects, you'll be whiping out Cocoa apps in no time. Not only does it have a great documentation tool (Apple's very own Java browser), but you'll have a much nicer way to layout and play more with the UI.

Just a little FYI. I've spent the last three months getting to know OOP (it took a while for it to stick). And with only six months of learning Java on my own, I am WAY too excited about Java and Cocoa. Java is a beautiful language (C++ irritates me) that has a rich and expanding set of resources that expand what it can do everyday.

Give it a try. I can guarantee that if you like Java and Mac OS X, you'll love how cool it is to get the job done.

-Jim

Back