How to make Apache serve to the internet

markpatterson

Registered
Hi,

I have Apache going, and it works over out local network. I have a cable modem connected to an 802.11b airport connected to an 8-way switch. There is an iBook using wireless network, and an eMac and a windows machine using the swtich.

How can I use Apache to server up pictures and mpegs for my family and friends, based on the IP address I get from http://whatismyipaddress.com/?

Regards,

Mark

BobW, thanks for your help, but I've looked at all the topics that come up from that, and they don't seem to address my problem. Could you be more specific?

I believe you'll need to forward a port to get visitors to the site you create in your Sites folder on a specific machine.

Someone else will be along to give more info.

You need to go into Airport Administrator and setup something called "Port Mapping".
There's a good help topic under Airport Help about port mapping. Basically, it tells your Airport base station where to send incoming requests (such as requests for your web-page). You'll need to ensure that this is forwarded to the Mac you intend to use as your web server.

Hi, thanks guys.
I tried a port mapping, using the AirPort Admin Utility. I mapped Public Post 80 at Private IP Address 10.0.1.3 (the emac running apache according to ifconfig) to Private Post 80.
Then I ran WhatIsMyIPAddress.com, got a value, put that in the address bar of Safari, and voila! an immediate error message on a sheet telling me that it could not connect to server 210.49.86.89. Am I on the right track? What have I done wrong? localhost works fine.

Regards,

Mark

One problem is that you also have to do the port mapping thing for the cable modem as well. Most likely both the modem and the airport are operating as NAT boxes. Once you get that straitened out you will not be able to access your own site using your externally visible IP on you local machines anyway since the devices you are going through are really just hubs and not routers.

One way to get around that for testing is to ask something like babblefish to "translate" one of your pages using your external IP. If it can get through you know that things are OK.

Back