How to open up my G4 powerbook to add RAM?

processor93

Registered
i did a search or two and the answer didn't come up here, nor can i find it on the apple website.

a friend said it was a simple matter of "popping up the keyboard"? that doesn't seem so simple.

i started trying that and now i have the left corner stuck slightly up. it didn't seem like that was going anywhere good so i restarted. all keys seem to work fine, but i'm no closer to installing the RAM i bought.

There are a couple of little tabs that hold the keyboard in place, as well as a locking screw.

The locking screw is located in between the F5 and F6 keys and uses a small, flat-head screwdriver to turn. It turns continuously, a half turn to lock, another half turn to unlock. If you watch the gap between the keyboard and the housing you will see the cam and be able to work out if you've unlocked it.

The two tabs are located between the Esc and F1 keys, and between the F11 and Eject keys. They usually have a slight bump on them. You simply place a finger on the tab, and slide it gently towards yourself (ie: pushing along the plane of the keyboard, in the direction of the spacebar). Once you do this, the keyboard pops up.

See: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/PowerBookG4_15inchOrigGettingStarted.PDF

Back