How to play wmv files (i need to know)

cbb

Registered
i need to know how to (1) play wmv files that i've downloaded to my desktop. i have VLC, should i just install a codec that reads wmv files?

and (2) what plugin for firefox/safari should i use to play a wmv file that usually uses wimdows media player?

thanks in advance

Windows Media Player should be able to play your wmv files. Choose it as your default for that file format.

there was a guy who managed to get the MS release of their "vc1 demo decoder" to work with mplayer in order to convert wmv files, though it couldnt play them real time. it's very advanced stuff though.. while i could figure out his procedure for getting mplayer cvs compiled from source i could not get that working.

I still say flip4mac is your best bet. It offers greatest integration and flexibility.. i think since ms started subsidizing them theyve begun offering a low cost end-consumer version, though if you feel like being an evil warez person, there are older and more klunky versions of flip4mac available at convenient p2p nets like amule.

the flip4mac might add the internet plugin to Safari, i know it doesnt add it to firefox, WMP 9 did htough

Hi there i have just installed Flip4mac but i am know trying to open a file but its saying that
Safari cannot find the internet plug-in

The page “Video Streaming Portal - NEWS.com.au” has content of MIME type “application/x-mplayer2”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed.

Can some please help me with this as i have no idea what this means

Cheers

You may want to try installing the older Windows Media Player for Mac. It won't play the video embedded in the website, but it should spawn a Media Player window, and play the stream.

Question: when you installed Flip4Mac, did you have any browsers running? Remember you have to go to <application-name>-->Quit on the menubar or do a Command-Q to actually quit out of the application. The red button doesn't always quit out of the app...it usually closes the window of the application.

One you're sure all browsers have been quit out of, reinstall Flip4Mac. This should do it.

The way Flip4Mac works is that it uses QuickTime to play the WMA and WMV files. The latest one hasn't given me any problems and plays embedded and windowed media (through QuickTime) without any problems.

Back