how to print digital pix...

iguy1

Registered
My digital camera is set at 2048 (3:2).. I don't know what my daughter's is set at (she is abroad) but all the pix she emails to me always print out smaller than 4x6 and no degree of manipulation allows me to size it ... does the way the camera is set (image size... 2048x1536, 2048(3:2), 1600x1200, etc ultimately influence the size that it can be formatted and printed?
what is the best camera setting to print out 4x6 or 5x7?
what is the purpose of the different settings? sharpness?
if the camera settings make no difference wrt printing, is there a way to get those "undersized" prints to 4x6? thanks \
Mike

Have you tried printing using iPhoto:

Attachments

• Picture 3 14-08-22.jpg
    Picture 3 14-08-22.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
... what is the best camera setting to print out 4x6 or 5x7? ...
This is not a camera issue, it is an issue with the application that you use to view your pictures. Out-of-the-box, you may use iPhoto or Preview to view and print your pictures. Both will scale and rotate pictures to accommodate your paper and number of pictures per page. Third-party apps like GraphicConverter and Photoshop Elements give the user effectively infinite control over the size of the printed image.

Ihave been using Iphoto- I cannot get some pix to a full 4x6

thanks
any settings in I photo that I have to manipulate?

Mike

I have a photo printer that does only 4x6. With my camera (set as above), no problems at all. Let me ask this- if the photos are emailed to me from a camera with different settings, would that possibly affect my ability to print the proper size? They always come out a little shy of 4x6. Does the email program somehow affect the area of the photo?

Mike

What kind of camera originally took the pics? I know that my Canon PowerShot A70 is a right royal pain when it comes to printing. What I see in my viewfinder isn't what I see in the finished print ... if I do a close-up of a face, the end result after printing is cropped. It's just the nature of my camera AFAIK and I wouldn't have bought it in hindsight if I knew this.

... They always come out a little shy of 4x6. Does the email program somehow affect the area of the photo?

The email program will not adversely affect your photographs unless it is also adversely affecting everything else.

The first thing that you need to get out of your head is that someone's camera can control who a photograph is printed at some time in the future. It can't. You don't say which model photoprinter you have, but there may be a mismatch between your printer's aspect ratio and your camera's aspect ratio. You can only print a 4x6 photograph on 4x6 paper if you have a borderless printer. Otherwise, you will have a border of different width left and right than top and bottom.

... It's just the nature of my camera AFAIK and I wouldn't have bought it in hindsight if I knew this.
Unless you are printing directly from your camera, it is not the nature of the camera. It is a combination of the application used to print your photographs and your print driver. Its File > Print dialog box makes available certain sizes of paper and either landscape or portrait orientation. If you choose the proper size paper, then your application/print driver combination will scale your photograph to fit your paper. The worse that should happen is that selecting the wrong orientation results in too much white space on your photograph's short dimension.

The bottomline for both of you is that you need to understand your equipment and you need to understand the technology.

well I guess that is why I am here- looking for help in "understanding my equipment and my technology". that being said- I have an HP photosmart 375 which with I am quite facile- excepting the above situation. The above scenario is the only one giving me fits- Perhaps I do not understand the settings on the camera- that was the gist of my original question. Why are there different settings on the digital camera? what aspects of the photo do they ultimately affect? if someone would be so kind as to answer this, it would be very much appreciated. I, of course, just assumed that this is an acceptable forum to try to learn from- perhaps, it has offended those that thought a help forum was not the proper venue in which to ask questions.

Mike

Hi iguy1, we'll get to the bottom of this somehow ... the end goal is to print out the pictures your daughter emailed you. Just focus on that and forget the rest ;)

I take it you have had no troubles whatsoever printing out your own photos using your HP 375? Have you tried printing out the recalcitrant images on a friends printer ... ??

... I have an HP photosmart 375 ...
This is progress.

... Why are there different settings on the digital camera? what aspects of the photo do they ultimately affect? ...
It occurs to me that you never stated which model camera you have. If there is something special about it, then there is no way that anyone can tell you what is so special.

... it has offended those that thought a help forum was not the proper venue in which to ask questions.

Mike
Mike,

No one is trying to give you a hard time. I am trying to get you to understand that the size of your printed photographs has nothing to do with your camera settings. Once your pictures are on your computer, that is where you must turn your attention. Fixating on camera settings will do you no good.

I will repeat: The size of your printed photographs is determined by the application that you use to print them and the print driver that controls your Photosmart 375. If your printer is like just about every other printer, then its driver allows you to scale any size image to fit the paper.

It really easier to do than it is to explain.

I have a sony point and shoot DSC P7 set to shoot at image size 2048 (3:2). As far as I can tell, my daughter's camera is shooting at 3072x 2304 pixels with a Canon powershot SD1000. I have not tried her pix on a different computer ( i will)- i am using Iphoto with a 4x6 constrain. Thank you for your assistance

Mike

with a different camera, set at different pixels, I continue to get a truncated photo from iphoto- is it possible my iphoto is corrupted? iphoto 4

Attachments

• Picture 1.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Back