how to quote?

lethe

Registered
OK, so i know how to quote someone else using the quote tag. but a lot of the time when people quote, there is also a line in italics telling whom they quoted. how do you get that? do you just type it in and put it in italics?

i have another question. is there an escape character? i once tried to explicitly show a code tag within a code tag, and it didn t work at all. if i had an escape character though....

Originally posted by lethe
OK, so i know how to quote someone else using the quote tag. but a lot of the time when people quote, there is also a line in italics telling whom they quoted. how do you get that? do you just type it in and put it in italics?

Do you mean like the above quote? If so, it's really, really, really easy: click the quote button on a specific reply to have it all setup for you, including the italicized Originally posted...

Not sure about escaping; but it does appear smart enough to recognize an unmatched tag:
Code:
[CODE]

For escaping, I usually use either another character (like parens, or braces, < and > tend to get interpreted as HTML tags), or include a space between the [ and the text.

For example, [ color=blue ] this text shouldn't be blue [ /color ].

Originally posted by blb

Do you mean like the above quote? If so, it's really, really, really easy: click the quote button on a specific reply to have it all setup for you, including the italicized Originally posted...

Not sure about escaping; but it does appear smart enough to recognize an unmatched tag:
Code:
[CODE]

AHA! i see it!

thanks, that is exactly what i wanted. i never noticed that button, i guess

Originally posted by nkuvu
For escaping, I usually use either another character (like parens, or braces, < and > tend to get interpreted as HTML tags), or include a space between the [ and the text.

For example, [ color=blue ] this text shouldn't be blue [ /color ].

let s see if this works:

Code:
enter the your code in [ code ] tags like these [/ code ], but without the spaces

Back