How to remove a word from the Mac dictionary

LarryMcJ

Registered
Before you ask...NOT the custom dictionary...it doesn't contain the words I'm having trouble with.

How can I remove "incorrect" words from the basic Mac Dictionary? E.g. when I type the word "internet" anywhere in an application, browser, Google, etc. it auto-corrects to "Internet" (capitalized). The word "internet" doesn't need to be capitalized.

Same thing when I type "website"...it auto-corrects to "Web site" which is really dumb. Neither of these are in my custom dictionary, so where the heck are they and how can I remove them? Thanks.

Larry

Is it not easier to add the words to your custom dictionary? Then they will be accepted.

I have been "correcting" the Apple dictionary over time by adding the English spellings in addition to the original American versions.

That was one of the first things I tried. It will not let me add the correct words...instead it auto-corrects to the way it wants to spell them before I can add them and click on LEARN. I tried adding them manually with a text editor to the custom dictionary and that didn't work either. If I try to type the word I want...it changes it no matter what I do.

It's even doing it as I type this message...if I type "Web site" (that was typed without a capital W and without a space, but it still changed it. This is absolutely insane.

Hasn't got anything to do with the browser...it occurs in all both browsers I use as well as Word, Pages, TextEdit...anyplace a spell checker is use.

Well, to be terribly nerdy; Web site and Internet ARE the correct spellings. The "Web" and "Internet" are proper nouns requiring capitalization; "website" technically isn't one word. We discussed this a lot at my last place of employment dealing with our marketing materials and how "Web service" should be written.

Please don't point your moots at me!

In serious vein, this question is being debated in other forums (fora?). It's been suggested there's a bug in Leopard. See:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=97173
http://theappleblog.com/2008/07/10/words-that-leopards-spellchecker-chokes-on/

And while we're on the topic of spelling gremlins, list your three (or more) 'demon' words, the ones your mind and fingers repeatedly refuse to spell correctly.
Some of my nominations: myslef, casue, throught, hunderd, realtives
And no, neither I nor my fingers are deslyxic.

Last edited:
With a hyphenated word like co-operate .... even though the Dictionary knows that the spelling is correct ... the Dictionary can't decide if the word is a single word or two words and subsequently alternates between flashing/not flashing the red lights under the 2 letters this side of the hyphne (co) .... That's a Tiger and not a Leopard, BTW ...

Back