How to remove disk volumes??

gazzak

Registered
Hi all,

I've inherited a G5 mac with a couple of disk volumes on a 70gb disk. I want to completely wipe out the volumes, format the disk and start again fresh. My problem is that I cannot for the life of me work out how to remove the volumes and get back to a freshly formatted single volume, (or no volume), disk. Any help will be welcome, and apologies for any windows terminology I may have inadvertantly used ;)

Boot from the provided or purchased 'Install Disc', via the 'Options...' settings - select 'Erase and Install', and proceed through the installation process.

If you prefer - boot from the provided or purchased 'Install Disc', and via its 'Disk Utility' copy - reformat the disk as a single partition. Then follow the above procedure.

Boot from the provided or purchased 'Install Disc', via the 'Options...' settings - select 'Erase and Install', and proceed through the installation process.

If you prefer - boot from the provided or purchased 'Install Disc', and via its 'Disk Utility' copy - reformat the disk as a single partition. Then follow the above procedure.

Thanks for the reply. I tried both of these routes earlier but there was nowhere from the install:eek:ptions menu to remove the partitions, nor via the disk utility on bootup from the CD. Unless it's hidden?

The "'Options...' settings" reference - was to a button (not a menu item). When proceeding through the various panels (when rebooted to the Install Disc), a panel of the drives available to have MacOS X installable on - will appear. The 'Options...' button will appear in the bottom center.

-----

'Disk Utility', on the MacOS X Install Disc, is the same as the one installed - during the MacOS X installation process.
Access (the MacOS X Install Discs') 'Disk Utility' via the 'Installer, Open Disk Utility' menu item.

Once 'Disk Utility' is launched (open, ran), click on the desired hard disk drives' icon (left side list), and then click on the 'Erase' or 'Partition' tab - to perform the desired function.

Back