how to restart my computer

zaze

Registered
i have a ...mac osx ..version....10.3.5.....memory....256 mb sdram
my problem is when i am on a site....like for example ebay or just looking
up different things, and if i want to go back or forward the icon starts to
spin and then i know my computer has frozen. how do i turn off my computer?.....when its at this stage i can't do anything, so how do i turn
off my computer.....i know almost nothing about computers,i mainly just
look things up...i hope someone understands what i am trying to explaine
............thank you

Your computer hasn't necessarily hung, there are several reasons why you may get the spinning beach ball in this situation but insufficient RAM memory in your computer is certainly a contributing factor. You really need 512 to 640 MB of RAM for optimal performance. Other reasons this may happen include, but are not limited to:
  • internet congestion
  • server congestion/problems on the other end,
  • a particularly "busy" web page that simply takes a long time to download and render,
  • a "lost" connection to the site server,
  • even an over full (less than 15% free space) or badly fragmented hard drive.

However, a more direct answer to your question is:
  1. Try clicking the icon to stop the page loading. What that icon is and where it is located is dependent on your browser. Then trying to download the page again. If it is just a lost connection that should fix it.
  2. You may just need to Force Quit your browser. Press the Command+Option+Escape keys then select your browser and click the Force Quit button
  3. If Force Quit does not work you can press and hold the power button/key for a few seconds and it will pop up a menu asking if you want to Restart, Sleep, Cancel, or Shut Down.
Without knowing the specific model Mac you have it is impossible to give more detailed instructions.

Back