How to revert to single partition

bowlfer333

Registered
I've been trying to install boot camp for some time now and am having a lot of trouble. But the problem seems to be that my mac already has two partitions, and I have no idea where they came from. Anyways I think I can get boot camp to work if I revert it to one partition, but my computor wont let me for some reason. It keeps saying "this disk contains the start up volume and cant be partitions". Can someone help me get around this problem. Thanks.

The easiest way would be to use CCC to backup the main partition, reformat, and restore. There are also programs that may be able to help, for a price.

Call Apple Care Support. They will walk you through it too. Id see what they can help you out with before you go deleting partitions. But If BOOTCAMP messed up then you may have one partition thats on there by accident.

Do you have a BOOTCAMP icon in the System Prefs-Utilities folder?
You may be able to go in there and delete that extra partition. Or put in your System cd reboot, hold in the "C" key and run the diagnostics. but applecare will run you through all of this. Try them first. IMO

but my computor wont let me for some reason. It keeps saying "this disk contains the start up volume and cant be partitions".

You need to be booted from your OS disc to partition your drive.

If you do this, it will completely erase the drive, so if you have anything you don't want to lose, backup first to another drive or burn to a CD/DVD.

Back