[HOW TO] rip DVD's to iPod

Now we just need an AppleScript to automate this so you can let the entire thing run overnight. Although for us US noobs I guess the government doesn't want us copying our own DVDs for our own use. :confused:

Thanks for the link. That's definitely the easiest way to go.

This verifies that there is no "black art" in making iPod-compatible movies. It plays standard mp4 files, the same kind programs like QuickTime, ffmpegX and HandBrake have been encoding for years. You just need to encode it at a proper resolution and bitrate. Good to know.

Yeah I'm glad I found the link and I'm sure iPod users could get some use out of it. I'm perfectly happy with my Pocket PC, the videos turn out beautiful on it, but too bad I don't have a 60GB Hard Drive though. So, crcr2003, anata wa nihon-jin desu ka?

kainjow: What do you need AppleScript for? Just use handbreak, it works in quite a "one stop" way. You just set it up and let it run.

I ripped two DVDs with Handbrake, it seemed to work fine (played fine on my mac, good quality). The first one I was able to put on my 5th Gen iPod and play quite happily. The second one, however, doesn't let me put it on the iPod at all. It says,

"Some of the videos in your iTunes library, including the video "Desperado", were not copied to the iPod 'Dack's iPod' because they cannot be played on this iPod."

Now, both the videos are .mp4 format. Both were ripped with Handbrake. So why doesn't one work?

Flanjoo, I had the same problem with a video I exported to the iPod format with QuickTime Pro. I know it was a valid movie, but iTunes just didn't want to put it on my iPod :( BTW, I'm running iTunes 6.0, not 6.0.1. You?

I suspect it might be iTunes 6.0, but I'm not sure (it's on my other computer and I don't have access to it). Think maybe an update would fix it?

It was an idea. Wasn't sure if Apple fixed it already with 6.0.1... maybe they did. I already deleted the movie that was giving me the error so I can't test it.

You could also try MacTheRipper for ripper DVDs and DVD2oneX for compressing them to lower quality video and size. After all, how good does the quality need to be to watch on a 2.5 inch screen? Plus, it's not like you'll be needing Dolby Surround Sound either. You can use VLC to watch any ripped DVD on a Mac, Linux, or Windows box.

chemistry_geek said:
You could also try MacTheRipper for ripper DVDs and DVD2oneX for compressing them to lower quality video and size. After all, how good does the quality need to be to watch on a 2.5 inch screen? Plus, it's not like you'll be needing Dolby Surround Sound either. You can use VLC to watch any ripped DVD on a Mac, Linux, or Windows box.

Yeah, but i think the purpose of having it on you iPod is to not only watch it on your iPod but also on your TV. That's if you want the best of both worlds.

Right, we did a few tests and it turned out the problem with the video file was that it was too big size-wise. The actual window it played in was too big to be put on the iPod screen. So I used QuickTime Pro, converted it into the iPod specific format (.m4a, I think) and it works like a charm.

Hi I am having a problem with my iPod and maybe you can help. I have been able to load videos to my ipod, not purchased from iTunes, using QUICKTIME PRO,but when I play them, there is no sound. It has happened twice so i have not tried anymore, witha as long as it takes to copy a video I don't want to waste time. I would appreciate it if you email your response to ddmd05@aol.com. Thank you so much.
Diego

Back