how to set display modes ? HELP!

nervus

fencer
Since the death of the screen of my beloved i-book I took the thing apart. I noticed it was just the backlight. However spare parts to repair this are not that easily obtainable. So I decided to use this i-book as a kind of desktop machine. This can be done in the lowest resolution (on an old 60Hz CRT). This CRT can display 800x600, but does with this i-book just 640x480 :(
For the purpose it will be used for this is still acceptable ... but ... After switch-off and restart the damn thing comes up with the wrong display setting causing the old monitor to go haywire :(
I seem to remember you can resolve this by changing the settings somewhere in the BSD-subsystem: but where??
Any help is very much appreciated.

Just a thought: what if you set the damaged lcd screen to 800x600 and press F7 to use the mirrored video mode? Shouldn't this bring your 800x600 to the crt screen? And I think this should be stable even after reboot.

Zammy-Sam said:
Just a thought: what if you set the damaged lcd screen to 800x600 and press F7 to use the mirrored video mode? Shouldn't this bring your 800x600 to the crt screen? And I think this should be stable even after reboot.
Just tried this: no reaction on F7 at all! Expose works though ;)

Zammy-Sam said:
no reaction?? :confused:
try Fn + F7
It should react!
It should, but it does not: I tried this when I noticed that F7 didn't work. Thinking there might be more damaged I then used F11: which worked :rolleyes:

Back