How to set en0 to duplex?

Gwailo

B.A. Economics (Hon)
[gwailo:~]% ifconfig en0
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,b6,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:03:93:86:f7:3a
media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>) status: active

supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback>

Is there a way I can set media: 100BaseT full-duplex?

I've got a little Nortel Networks ADSL adapter (model unknown) which may not support full-duplex; but if it does, would I have to configure this manually, or would my ethernet adapter determine automatically (and correctly) what my ADSL modem supports?

I'm on an iMac TFT 700MHz

TIA!

Ethernet adapters generally do a pretty good job of autodetecting capabilities. It's likely that the ADSL modem only supports 10baseT. If you're connected to the modem directly with a crossover cable, then it definitely should have detected full duplex if it's available.

Hmm...my experience is that 10/100 duplexing autosensing varies widely by driver/card. Gigabit seems to have nailed this down, and in fact only works with autosensing.

Regarding the actual bandwidth (10 vs. 100 megabit), you would have to have some honkin' ADSL to do better than 10 megabit. The incoming pipe is your bottleneck.

I don't know how to hard wire duplexing on OS X (I could tell you on Solaris), but frankly,, even if you were approaching full utilization of your etherenet bandwidth, it is unlikely you would notice any performance diffrence unsless you were doing something very unusual with your DSL router.

I will have to try to do that later (Team moving...), but the commands are :

sudo ifconfig en0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
[or]
sudo ifconfig en0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
[etc...]

The TechNote 2053 says :

>>> Implemented support to force the UniNEnet driver to disable auto-
>>> negotiation mode and to force a specific media type and speed with the
>>> ifconfig tool.
>>> For example, the following terminal commands can be used:
>>> ifconfig en0 media 10baseT/TP % ifconfig en0 mediaopt half-duplex

I've got a 2001/2002 450Mhz x2 G4 set up as an os x 10.1.5 sever in the computer lab where I work. We are having issues with setting duplex on the machine. on the port we have set up for full-duplex, the os x machine has zero network, but an os nine machine seems to work. (we are currently double checking the port settings, but it's hard to get a hold of the it guys who manage the network.) is there any bugs with osx or the ethernet card?

Back