How to set up a server with Airport?

senne

Registered
I have an Airport-internet-connection and i'm not able to run a Carracho/Hotline server, cause my Airport changes my IP-address to another number (fe: 10.0.1.12)

How can i solve this problem, without having my airport removed?

thanks in regards!

senne.

You can try to open a carracho port on the airport server's firewall. Outside of that I really can not help you much more.

Please post your results, as this may be beneficial to someone else.

Thanks.
SA:)

First, you need to set your computer using the airport connection to have a static IP.

Then, set your airport base station to forward the Carracho port to the IP of your server.

I don't have an airport base station, so I'm not sure how you would do it, but there should be something in the documentation for the base station.

Figure out what IP you have now by going into the system preferences's network tab. Your IP should be shown there.

Then, instead of DHCP, choose Static IP and enter in your IP.

Here's an option to set up a server with a machine that accesses the internet via a wireless AirPort Base Station.

Go toand open: applications/utilities/AirPort Admin Utility

Click on "Configure"

Select your base station and log in to your network. This will allow you to make changes to your base Station settings.

Click on the "Network" tab and change the DHCP lease time to a something like 2 days.

Click "update"

-----here's what you did----

DHCP is a service that provides IP addresses dynamically. A simple way of explaining it is your machine starts up and "asks" your Base Station for an IP. Your Base Station "leases" a made up IP (something like 10.0.0.1) and your machine then communicates to the Base Station using that number. Your Base Station uses your "real world IP" to communicate with your ISP.

If you increase the lease time... then your Base Station will allow for more time (in this case 2 days) before it will use that number on another machine. So "computer A" joins the network as (10.0.0.1). After a few hours on the network the machine is shut down. "Computer B" joins the network as (10.0.0.2) and after a few hours it too shuts down. Your Base Station remember what machine had each of those IP addresses for (in this case) 2 days. Every unique machine will get a new IP address... and own that IP for 2 days.

This will only prevent the IP from changing, I'm not sure if it will help you with your routing issues. My recommendation is to do what I do. I have the following network setup.

WAN --> Router --> Base Station (port 1) & File Server machine (port 2).

Then my Base Station feeds my roaming laptops with their internet connection and my "Server machine" doesn't even see the Base Station. Then I set my router to direct all FTP port traffic to my "Server Machine".

Of course there's more then one way to do this.
;)

Originally posted by evildan
Here's an option to set up a server with a machine that accesses the internet via a wireless AirPort Base Station.

Go toand open: applications/utilities/AirPort Admin Utility

Click on "Configure"

Select your base station and log in to your network. This will allow you to make changes to your base Station settings.

Click on the "Network" tab and change the DHCP lease time to a something like 2 days.

Click "update"

-----here's what you did----

DHCP is a service that provides IP addresses dynamically. A simple way of explaining it is your machine starts up and "asks" your Base Station for an IP. Your Base Station "leases" a made up IP (something like 10.0.0.1) and your machine then communicates to the Base Station using that number. Your Base Station uses your "real world IP" to communicate with your ISP.

If you increase the lease time... then your Base Station will allow for more time (in this case 2 days) before it will use that number on another machine. So "computer A" joins the network as (10.0.0.1). After a few hours on the network the machine is shut down. "Computer B" joins the network as (10.0.0.2) and after a few hours it too shuts down. Your Base Station remember what machine had each of those IP addresses for (in this case) 2 days. Every unique machine will get a new IP address... and own that IP for 2 days.

This will only prevent the IP from changing, I'm not sure if it will help you with your routing issues. My recommendation is to do what I do. I have the following network setup.

WAN --> Router --> Base Station (port 1) & File Server machine (port 2).

Then my Base Station feeds my roaming laptops with their internet connection and my "Server machine" doesn't even see the Base Station. Then I set my router to direct all FTP port traffic to my "Server Machine".

Of course there's more then one way to do this.
;)

no, doesn't work, because if you want to use your computer as a file server on the internet, you need to have an IP that works, 10.0.0.1 doesn't work. It has to be something like 123.123.123.123 . Originaly i have that sort of IPaddress, but the airport-basestation changes it to ... well, 10.0.0.1

senne.

You need the IP of the base station's ethernet port. Remember that a computer doesn't really have an IP address (ignoring localhost), an interface does.

If you go into the airport admin utility and click on the internet tab then the IP address shown is the IP that can be used to get to your network. Remember also that you are using a single IP for all your computers.

What you need to set up now is port forwarding on your airport base station so taht when an outside services connects to your IP number down a specific port then actually they are routed automatically to the internal IP (10.01.x typically).

Evildan's instructions are correct - it is easier to set up the base stations lease period to be very long than use a internal static IP.

Using basically the same technique as EvilDan I have set up my iMac as a SSH and web server. I got SMB shares to work over the internet as well. However the IP that the internet users must connect to is the IP of the base station.

Things may be more complicated by the fact that your cable modem/DSL modem may be a DHCP server in its own right, and so may be distributing internal IPs to your base station (mine does this). I check what IP people can connect to me by using the Dynamic DNS service http://www.dyndns.org/ which is great.

I hope that this all works out for you.

R.

Originally posted by senne
no, doesn't work, because if you want to use your computer as a file server on the internet, you need to have an IP that works, 10.0.0.1 doesn't work. It has to be something like 123.123.123.123 . Originaly i have that sort of IPaddress, but the airport-basestation changes it to ... well, 10.0.0.1

senne.

Senne,

It does work... outside visitors to your fileServer use your Real World IP to get to your router, then your router directs them to the correct machine by using the 10.0.0.1 IP address (or virtual IP).

So by hooking up the machine on the AirPort Base Station, you're preventing it from being a sever (as I understand it). :(

So by hooking up the machine on the AirPort Base Station, you're preventing it from being a sever (as I understand it).

That is what port forwarding is for. All outside conections hit the router, but by using port forwarding you can route them to a specific computer.

e.g. my ISP blocks ports 80 for incoming connections. I have set up my base station to forward connections on port 8090 to be routed to my iMac on port 80, which means that anyone connecting to my base station on port 8090 will actually be forwarded to my iMac on port 80, and will the web server. I have done the same for SSH because my ISP also blocks port 22 - so I route port 8092 to my iMac. This allows my web developers to login from all over the world and post their work.

R.

my set up at home is a little different. i set up the airport for ethernet bridging, so now all my macs are on the same subnet as the pcs that are connected directly to the router. i set up the port forwarding on the router to forward directly to my g4's ip for ssh and http. i've never tried messing with forwarding or anything on the airport so this seemed like a simpler solution to me.

Originally posted by roger
That is what port forwarding is for. All outside conections hit the router, but by using port forwarding you can route them to a specific computer.

e.g. my ISP blocks ports 80 for incoming connections. I have set up my base station to forward connections on port 8090 to be routed to my iMac on port 80, which means that anyone connecting to my base station on port 8090 will actually be forwarded to my iMac on port 80, and will the web server. I have done the same for SSH because my ISP also blocks port 22 - so I route port 8092 to my iMac. This allows my web developers to login from all over the world and post their work.

R.

where do i get those "port-numbers"???? :confused: :(

Originally posted by roger

Roger, Roger...

Now does anyone know of a way to port forward through a BaseStation?;)

the application documentation should be able to tell you somewhere (carracho in this case) what port numbers it uses.

In fact, a quick check on the FAQ section of www.carracho.com shows the following:

Is there a way to use Carracho behind a firewall/proxy?
To use Carracho through a proxy/firewall ask your system administrator to open the ports 6700(TCP) and 6701(TCP) for the Carracho server and 6702(TCP and UDP) for the Carracho client.

Go into the airport admin utililty, select the port mapping tab and make three entries:

The public port should be 6700, the private address should be 10.0.1.12 (according to your first post) and the private port should be 6700. Repeat this for the other two ports.

this means that any connection being made to your external IP on those ports will be forwarded onto your machine with the IP 10.0.1.12.

it has nothing to do with firewall/proxy i think.... The problem is the BaseStation (Airport)

Still not solved

is there nobody here with a server connected via Airport???

senne

my machine is running a server over airport, the way i got it to work was through ethernet bridging. that's what the option was called in airport. i have a linksys 4 port router with 2 pcs and an airport that serves two macs, all comptuers are assigned ip adresses from the router itself, i'm not sure how but it works cause of ethernet bridging. so then i use port forwarding on the router to forward the relevant network traffic to my machine.

Well that should work then. By the way, you do know that you can't loop out and into your own airport?

FYI I have an iMac with internal IP 10.0.1.2. I set it up as a server that listens on port 8001. I port forward the airport so that port 8001 on the airport goes to port 8001 on IP 10.0.1.2. My airport external IP is 80.4.4.97. Anyone in the outside world can connect to 80.4.4.97 on port 8001 and they will connect to my iMac.

OK - I also have an iBook, with internal IP 10.0.1.3. I can connect to my iMac on port 8001 via IP 10.0.1.2 but I CANNOT connect to my iMac on IP 80.4.4.97 - the network will timeout eventually. This is by nature of the Airport. You cannot connect back to the iMac from itself using 80.4.4.97 either, but you can use either localhost (127.0.0.1) or 10.0.1.2.

How to test the external connection? Jump into the internet not via the airport using another computer - dialup, or ask a friend (here?). I am quite lucky that my neighbours have an airport network that I can jump onto to test my connection with the outside world.

If it is still not working then can you let us know exactly how it is not working, what you are doing, etc? It may be easier to get it working with an other service, such as webpages, and then get the carracho server working.

R.

ok, these pics are all from m Airport Base Admin Utility. Exept Afbeelding4.jpg, that's one from Carracho Server.

http://users.pandora.be/chirotomsam/Afbeelding1.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/chirotomsam/Afbeelding2.jpg (port forwarding)

http://users.pandora.be/chirotomsam/Afbeelding3.jpg
(internet, IP's, router, ...)

http://users.pandora.be/chirotomsam/Afbeelding4.jpg
(carracho server)

about the last one: You can see the sentence: "Listening @ 10.0.1.2" That 10.0.1.2 has to be my real IP-address that you can "see" on Afbeelding3.jpg

And it isn't my real IP, so external-airport-netwerk-users can't login into my server... Internal-airport-users (like my iBook upstairs, CAN login via 10.0.1.2, and that's logical..... I think)

senne.

Back