How to set up LaserWriter as LPR printer

DominikHoffmann

Registered
For Mac OS 9 there is the Apple Printer Utility. But for Mac OS X there is only Print Center. I have not found a way to set up my LaserWriter 12/640 as an LPR printer using Print Center. It has the "Configure..." command on the "File" menu, but it is greyed out.

Of course I try the Apple Printer Utility in Classic, but I'd prefer to do something with a native OS X utility.

Any suggestions?

Dominik Hoffmann

Open up Print Center and then click Add Printers.

From the pop-up menu that by default reads "AppleTalk," select "LPR Printers using IP." You then get the standard IP address/queue name fields.

However, out of curiosity, why would you not want to print to that printer using AppleTalk? (unless the printer is reachable only using IP?

I've found in the past that I get a better experience using AppleTalk, as I get better reporting on the status of the printer (out of paper, jammed, ...)

I did this for the fastest printer in the place I work in, a HP LaserJet 4000N.
I didn't notice any differences in the way it reports its status (wich is obviously less convenient that it was in OS 9).
But I noticed that tasks were running really much faster since this.

that the 12/640 didn't support IP printing at all. At least that's my understanding.

Anybody else know different?

Back