How to setup ADSL router & OS X

Zeal

Registered
I've just installed OS X - upgraded now to 10.1.2 on a partition on my external FW hard drive. I'm running 9.2.2 on my Powerbook internal hard drive. I've been using a Dynalink router to connect to my ISP using PPPoA. My router does have a PPPoE option but I've got no idea what any of these things mean.

I have no idea how to configure OS X or the router in order to get online. OS 9 won't even connect while running under OS X. But if I startup with OS 9 I have no problems connecting.

I've been everywhere to work out what I'm supposed to do but can't get any specific info. What I need to know is what I'm supposed to configure my ADSL router to (i.e. PPPoA, PPPoE) - see attachment for screenshot). My router is currently configured as follows:
* Encapsuation Type: PPPoA - VC-MUX
* Specified Local WAN IP Address (checked) (then it has the following 2 choices, either one or the other)
* Fixed WAN IP Address (unchecked - has a space for an IP address
* Dynamic WAN IP Address (checked)
* Enable Network Address Translation (NAT) (checked)

If I select PPPoE I have a choice of also having either VC_MUX or LLC_SNAP (the latter is automatically selected if I choose PPPoE, whereas VC_MUX is automatically selected if I choose PPPoA - it does allow me to change between VC_MUX and LLC_SNAP in both PPPoA and PPPoE options).

So that's the router side of things (although there are heaps of other configurable variables in the router).

How do I then configure OS X so that I can then use my router? This is all so much doubledegook to me. :confused: I really am overpowered by the complexity of OS X, let alone coming up to speed with the new GUI. Zeal :)

Attachments

• router_setup.gif
    router_setup.gif
    36 KB · Views: 29
paulboy - can you please advise/explain what port forwarding is? I've never seen or read anything about that on my Dynalink ADSL modem/router. What sorts of things am I likely to want to setup/change/modify etc? If I do setup port forwarding, do I use PPPoE or PPPoA and what are the Network settings I should setup in OS X? :confused:

I'm sorry you have to walk me thru this - I simply have no/little experience with this sort of thing and no one else seems to be able to really help me out.

Regards, Zeal :)

If you have set up the WAN correctly you will also have to set up the LAN-configuration. Here you will have to give your router a specified IP-address say 192.168.200.1 with a subnetmask set up like 255.255.255.0. It depends on how you want to set up your network either DHCP where your ip addresses will be given by the router or manually configured where you will have to specify the addresses for each computer on the network (subnet). E.g. you will give your X computer the address manually 192.168.200.2 with the same subnetmask of the router. This you will set up in the Network prefpane. It is set up to Ethernet and then manually with the above mentioned settings. The router (gateway) will be the address of your router (192.168.200.1) and the DNS (Domain-Name-Server) set up with the IPs provided by your ISP: Sometimes OSX requires also the optional Domain-Names. At least mine does. So I put in the resolution of the DNS-IP say “provider.com”. Now as you have set up the Network Prefs correctly you should be able to connect trough your router, if the WAN is set up correctly which in your case I am not quiet sure because I have not set up ADLS yet only DSL, but you can try different configurations on your router then to check which one will establish a connection to your ISP.

Hot diggitydawg

I've finally worked out (guess work & luck - not skill on my behalf) how to configure with DHCP. And it's working now. Thanks everyone for their help. Zeal :)

Back