How to share an internet connection using a USB Alcatel Speed Touch USB ADSL modem

Damon

Registered
I have read with interest the post on sharing internet between two imacs by using hardware and software solutions.

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=12192&highlight=usb+router

I wish to do the same with a G4 Powerbook (OSX) and a G3 Powermac (OS9). The main reason I want to share the connection is that the G3 does not have any USB ports!

I understand my cable modem (Alcaltel Speed Touch USB) will only connect via a computers USB interface.

Is it still possible to use a router to share this connection to other machines?

I was considering buying the Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL 4 Port Router (BEFSR41) from dabs.com as this is the cheapest for me in the UK (£59+vat)

It seems that routers expect to connect to the internet directly and not from a connection already established via another machine!

Does anyone have any experience of sharing a USB modem on a network and will this router do what i need?

thanks
Damon

You can share any internet connection. The program listed above might just be the easiest way to do it.

You could probably connect the two macs with just an ethernet crossover cable - that's an ethernet cable where some of the wires are effectively given a half twist between the two ends, which imitates the effect of a hub in between. They're pretty cheap, certainly less than getting an ethernet hub.

thanks scruffy, i was just not sure about usb devices, that's why my post was brief.
If there's only one mac to connect, and not other ethernet periph., such as a laser, an ethernet crossover is the right connexion for sure, and the cheapest.
You can also easily do it buy yourself (ask for the scheme) if you can borrow a RJ45 pincer.

Someone I know has his OS X iBook connected to a USB ADSL modem in the UK, but then also from time to time wants to connect his work laptop (an IBM ThinkPad running Windoze 2000).

Now, as stated above, he doesn't have a straight ethernet ADSL router which would allow all this (they usually have 4 port + ethernet hubs built-in with a hardware firewall), just a one-to-one USB modem. So, he bought this add-on.

This is quite expensive, but provides a hardware solution for sharing the USB ADSL connection between all types of machine.

Back