How to totally repair a scratched CD

jasfa131

The Lone Deranger
What you'll need:
-Banana & banana peel
-Windex (or other glass cleaner)
-Soft, dry cloth

-----------
  1. Take a piece of freshly cut banana and rub it all over the CD in a circular motion.
  2. Using the banana peel, wipe over the banana residue with the peel in a circular motion.
  3. Wipe the residue off with a clean, dry cloth for a few minutes.
  4. Spray Windex onto the disc and wipe it clean with the clean side of the cloth you've used (in a circular motion).
  5. Done, your disc should now appear completely new and unscratched.

I guess the scratches have just been filled with a combination of banana and windex. Does that actually solve the problem of a disc becoming unreadable?

I guess the scratches have just been filled with a combination of banana and windex. Does that actually solve the problem of a disc becoming unreadable?

Hey - don't go "banana's" over a scratched CD - just replace it! ;)

Can be expensive to buy your favourite band's first album over and over again. ;)

And, if you need a little potassium, you can suck on your CD :) Don't know what the Windex will help, not much nutrition there ....

Also, won't help if the scratch goes through into the data layer. Light will shine through the disk in that case.
Anyway, it seems like a temporary fix, so you can perhaps read an otherwise-unreadable CD, and you can do the next step - burn a copy of that disk...

Anyway, it seems like a temporary fix, so you can perhaps read an otherwise-unreadable CD, and you can do the next step - burn a copy of that disk...

As good as bananas might be for you, they probably won't be so good for your CD/DVD drive.

That would be the reason to follow the sequence: Banana first, then Windex (which would clean off the banana goop)
I've done as well with one of the orange oil products. Nothing really special about the banana, but the peel has decent oil. Likely that any vegetable oil will do the same trick. Some will be messier than others. The wax mentioned is purely for appearance in the produce shop, and may not be on some bananas at all.

Hm.. what do bananas and Windex do chemically to the CDs or DVDs? Clean a CD or DVD with that method, and then store it properly for the next 5-6 years and let me know if it's still perfectly readable...

Well, you don't have to keep it for 5-6 years afterwards. You only have to read it once - to copy it to a harddrive or another optical medium.

fryke, I think most people use CDs and DVDs also for backup purposes.

Hard drives need backups. As you don't use CDs or DVDs for data backup, do you only backup your hard drives to another hard drive, or do you have a RAID 10 solution on a home server, or do you use an old skool tape drive?

Back