How to transfer file from old Mac OS 8 to windows?

jian1

Registered
I have this old power mac with OS 8 and wish to transfer certain large files on it to my windows machine.

I have tried ftp method, not only it is awkwardly slow for the Mac, but also it messed up the directory structures.

Windows machine has no way to discover the shared folders on mac, well... at least not to my knowledge.

Any insights can be helpful.

You may install the MacOS 8-compatible version of Thursby DAVE on the Mac which will allow you to network your Mac to Windows. You may also install MacDrive on the Windows computer which allow your Windows computer to read Mac-formatted discs. I note that you have given not one hint about which model Mac you have. If your Mac has a USB port, then you can copy all of your files to a DOS/Windows-formatted thumb drive. If your Mac has a CD burner, then you may copy your data to a CD.

thanks.

Mine is a PowerMac 8600/300, with no usb ports, no cd burner. However, it has firewire ports.

The harddrive is a fast SCSI model

thanks.

Mine is a PowerMac 8600/300, with no usb ports, no cd burner. However, it has firewire ports.

The harddrive is a fast SCSI model
Are you sure that you don't have a CD burner? Certainly, you have a CD-ROM drive. You also have a ZIP drive. Each ZIP® disc will hold 100 MB of data files. If you use DOS-formatted ZIP® discs, then you may transfer your data to the Windows machine if you you have a portable drive.

That said, the easiest way to transfer your files is probably to establish an account on one of the many free online storage sites. Upload them from your Mac. Download them to your Windows computer. This requires no new hardware and no expenditure of money.

I have no ZIP disks and trying to keep expenditure minimal, buying a zip disk isn't very wise....

The web method doesn't work simply becoz the netscape navigator that comes with the Mac is too old for any of these site to even display a page. I can't even get to google Doc.

I still prefer a method that can drop into my windows shared folder over local network, but this Mac can't see nothing...

I have no ZIP disks and trying to keep expenditure minimal, buying a zip disk isn't very wise....

The web method doesn't work simply becoz the netscape navigator that comes with the Mac is too old for any of these site to even display a page. I can't even get to google Doc.

I still prefer a method that can drop into my windows shared folder over local network, but this Mac can't see nothing...
You're gonna have to work with me here. Having your Mac running MacOS 8 see a Windows network ain't happening. It isn't Netscape Navigator, it's Netscape Communicator. That said, Netscape Communicator should be accompanied by Internet Explorer. Have you tried that?

You may setup an FTP server on your Mac and user your Windows computer to access the Mac via FTP. You will, however, need a MacOS 8-compatible FTP server software.

You need to understand that you have a frightfully old OS. If you want to transfer files with a Windows machine, then you need to come down from your high horse and put forth some effort. It be done, but only if you are willing to work.

I am not experienced with OS 8 but what Windows are you running? Is the Mac on the network? Assuming it is, the previous idea of an FTP server on the Mac is a very good one, but other than that there used to be a program for Windows to allow Apple Talk over IP to run, that might work for you.

How big is your file or are your files that you want transferred?

Back