How to transfer my ipod to my son

goldenmeg

Registered
I am getting a new classic ipod and want to give my old classic ipod to my son.

My current ipod is synced to my itunes library. I want to create another library for my son in my login because I don't want to duplicate some of our CDs in his music folder and my music folder.

I'm not sure how to do the syncing and renaming of the new and old ipods.

What steps should I go through? Basically, I want to:
1. Sync my new ipod to my llibrary so it is updated with my music & podcast subscriptions
2. Create a new library for my son
3. Rename my old ipod for my son and sync it to my son's new library

I'm afraid that when I sync my new ipod to my library I will then have TWO ipods with the same name and same sync information. How to I help itunes around this confusion and make the transfer?

Thanks, Meg

Hi Meg,

Have you seen the following article on Apple's web pages?

How to use multiple iPods with one computer

Essentially, you could use multiple user accounts on the computer, sync with different playlists within the same account, or create different iTunes libraries. Perhaps the second option would be of most use to you.

Let me know how you get on! :)

Yes, I saw this.

I'm worried about the interim step. After I've synced my new ipod (and given it a name), disconnected it, and created a new library. At this point, when I connect my old ipod in (with my name still on it), will it be confused? Will it try to re-sync? Or will it matter? I want to connect the old ipod, rename it and then sync it to the new library. Will this be a problem?

I haven't tried this method myself, so all I can do is point you to what Apple says. If Apple say you can use multiple libraries in order to use multiple iPods, my inclination is to assume all will be well!

I've used two iPods with one library and had no problems. I disabled syncing and made sure I gave the iPods different names. My iPod touch uses syncing, while my iPod nano is managed manually. So far, I've had no problems whatsoever.

Personally, what I'd recommend is that you ensure you've got a backup of your iTunes data and then go ahead with trying Apple's step-by-step guide. I wouldn't expect any issues, but it is up to you whether or not to go ahead.

Back