How to turn internet sharing in OS-X Server "off"

BenWoz

Registered
So I went and followed the wizard for setting up internet sharing up and it worked...sort of. My problem was that DNS didn't seem to work-I couldn't ping the server while connected using Ethernet. I also couldn't connect using wireless, although that is expected with NAT.

It appears that a few services were turned on by the wizard: DHCP, DNS in addition to NAT. So I turned those off one by one but I can't connect to the server from wireless now.

From the server, I can still connect to the internet. And, I can connect to the file share from another computer over wireless using Finder's sidecar, under "Shared". But I can't even ping the server over wireless. I'm sure the wizard changed all kinds of things but I don't even know where to start to get things back to where they were.

Help!

What kind of network topology do you have? Do you have an internal DNS and DHCP server? And what exactly are you trying to do?

So...today-it's working again. I'm able to ping my server, remote desktop into it, sync up my portable home directory. It all works. I dunno why.

To answer your questions: I have a Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato firmware. Both the server and laptop are connecting via wireless. I have a name and static IP assigned to the server in there. When I went through the Gateway Setup Assistant (as per this) it turned on OS-X Server's DNS & DHCP servers but I turned those off in my quest to return network access.

Thanks though!

- BenWoz

Back