How to turn off File Vault

abilectic

Registered
I have been using file vault for some time now and after reading more about it, i have decided to turn it off before I run out of disk space among other things.
What steps should I take to make this transition as easy as possible?
What kinds of problems should I expect to find upon first turning it off and whats the best way to fix them?

Thanks

I guess I'm thinking further ahead than just turning it off, that's pretty easy.
I want to be able to continue working after its turned off, have all my pictures and documents intact and such...

As far as I know turning it off is all that's required, and it doesn't look like there are any issues associated with doing so.

For some security if the computer is ever stolen, set your energy settings/sleep to require password upon re awakening and set your computer to require password access after restart. This is a pretty basic deterrent.

Have you ever thought about locking your server/servers in a closet and creating a network so even if someone can get into your studio they can't access the server?

I see.

1. When you turn off File Vault, make sure you have at least as much free space available as what you're currently using or you'll have issues.
2. Copy your user folder so you can replace it if you lose your settings
3. Use disk utility to create a protected area on your drive (see the second "stumped" link you posted for instructions

The problem seems to be the need for free space, and an earlier article I posted here goes into that in more detail.

Back