How to use an airport express and extreme at the same time?

pleaustar

Registered
I have an Airport express which I use to stream audio to my stereo system
My iTunes library is on an external hard disk
I bought an Airport Extreme so I could connect the hard disk to it and access my songs wirelessly. But now, when I want to play my songs over my stereo system I have to use the Express again, but since I am connected to the Extreme, this option is not shown in iTunes!
Why the hell didn't they just add airtunes to the Extreme?!!! Is there ANY way I can work around this? Thanks a lot in advance

You can use the Extreme as the AP and the Express for your stereo, if you set the Express in Client Mode. Then, it will join the Extreme network, and you should be able to stream to it.

This is from the Express setup guide:
Connecting to an Existing Wireless Network
You can use the AirPort Setup Assistant to join an existing wireless network. When you
connect your AirPort Express to your home stereo, computers on your wireless network
can use AirTunes to play music on the stereo from iTunes. If you connect a USB printer
to your AirPort Express, all of the computers on the network can print to it.
Be sure to connect the audio cable to your stereo and the USB cable to your printer
before you use the AirPort Setup Assistant.
m Open the AirPort Setup Assistant, located in Applications/Utilities on a Macintosh, or in
Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer using Windows XP or Windows 2000.
Follow the onscreen instructions to connect your AirPort Express to your wireless
network.

Back